Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Shingles :-(

(4 Posts)
howtodecide Wed 03-Oct-12 09:11:25

So I went to the GP after 10 days of feeling rough with sore skin on my leg (and now an itchy rash) and I have shingles....how long can I expect to feel so totally drained and pathetic for? Its not like any other illness I have had really. When I had tonsilitis/kidney infection i took to my bed with a temperature and feeling like death, but with this I just feel totally weak/lethargic and generally run down....is this normal? How long does it go on for?
No doubt I will just feel better and the kids will come down with chicken pox!

cocolepew Wed 03-Oct-12 09:27:44

It's hard to tell how long it can last for. I've had them a few times and haven't been too bad, but I know people who have been much worse. Try to take it easy as much as possible.

cocolepew Wed 03-Oct-12 10:05:49

You smit me shock! I went to look at my back where it was sore and there they are sad

Elibean Wed 03-Oct-12 12:52:59

Yikes, its shingles epidemic season on MN shock

You poor things, both of you - loads of rest, painkillers as needed (not very effective, I found, but a bit) and antivirals from GP if old/young/in dodgy place.

I had them on my face and felt weak for 2-3 weeks, the third week was the most depressing because I kept thinking I 'should' be better by now - much better by the 4th week.

Hope you both feel better soon xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now