Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Panicking about GP appointment tomorrow, hopefully needlessly

(20 Posts)
justbogoffnow Wed 03-Oct-12 00:46:44

I had thyroid cancer a couple of years ago, it was dealt with by removing the thyroid, none of the other follow up treatments were considered necessary. The area of cancer was small but v close to lymph glands.

I've never been quite right since that op. in the last 10 months, things have been really up and down. I have had a number of sudden almost 'shut downs' of my body is the only way I can describe it. Severe exhaustion (unable to get out of bed for a week to 10 days, severe pain in left 'loin' area of back which then sets in on the right). This is accompanied by a total loss of appetite or even desire for fluids, though I force myself to drink enough water and have cups of tea with sugar in. It's a supreme effort to do this. Also, I have long bouts of nausea with it, they intensify with the pain too. And in the last 2 bouts of whatever this is, intense itching all over my body which is not relieved at all by antihistamines. The effort required for a shower is too much and exhausts me.

I have been to my GP each time these periods occurred. Sometimes a kidney infection has been present, sometimes it hasn't. Symptoms exactly the same and getting worse each time eg the itching only started during the last 2 bouts.

In between, I manage to rally a bit, but that pain is still always there, lurking, then seems to come out to 'play' when I try to get back into the swing of a normal daily pattern. My children are really noticing now and I hate that, I don't want them to, but I have to spend so much time in bed, it's inevitable.

My latest trip to the GP, a set of blood tests were done. They've come back and the receptionist said I'd been sent a letter to come and see the doctor. Letter not arrived yet (think went in yesterday's post) so I said, 'right I'll ring tomorrow at 8am for an appointment' because that's the surgeries rules, you can't book the previous day. The receptionist said, actually I can give you an appointment now for tomorrow morning. I've been with that surgery for 12 years and it does not deviate from its appointment rules. They repeat them over and over (can hear it when sat in reception listening to other calls coming in).

So now I'm thinking, 'Oh shit, it's cancer again, it must be otherwise why would they suddenly break their cast in granite rule?'.

I am scared. I am trying to be logical, and think it could be all sorts if much less serious things but fear is winning at the mo sad.

Homebird8 Wed 03-Oct-12 00:50:57

Just holding your hand and hoping that the news isn't what you're thinking. Is there anyone who can go to the appointment with you?

Asmywhimsytakesme Wed 03-Oct-12 00:55:38

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

justbogoffnow Wed 03-Oct-12 00:59:10

My dh is coming but I'm not sure I want him in the room when I see the GP (he is the world's best at butting in which drives me mad grin but if there is worrying news, maybe he should be there, on the proviso he keeps his mouth shut and just listens. He is lovely btw, just has the odd annoying habit as we all do!

Thanks for your hand smile

Jacksmania Wed 03-Oct-12 01:03:18

Another hand for you to hold, and flowers because it sounds like you need them. thanks

Noqontrol Wed 03-Oct-12 01:04:26

Hope for the best and prepare for the worst. I know how it is, my husband is on this road too. Holding your hand as well.

justbogoffnow Wed 03-Oct-12 01:09:30

You are all so lovely, thank you.

I am hoping with every little part of me that they have found something that doesn't indicate cancer but indicates something else they can sort out so I can get well again and be well all the time. That would be a dream come true. Good health is such a precious thing.

Thumbwitch Wed 03-Oct-12 01:13:06

Sending you more handholding, love and strength. Try to get some sleep - it won't change the outcome tomorrow but you'll be better prepared if it's not so good, which I hope isn't the case xx

ripsishere Wed 03-Oct-12 01:34:36

You can have my hand too. I'll be here for another couple of hours. By which time you should be in bed.
Fingers crossed for a favourable outcome. Do take your DH, just put him under orders that he keeps his trap shut unless you ask for his input.

justbogoffnow Wed 03-Oct-12 02:00:58

Going to try and get some sleep now. Thanks everyone for your supportive words smile.

QOD Wed 03-Oct-12 03:00:36

Xx

swooosh Wed 03-Oct-12 03:06:15

Hand holding here, hope you're ok x

Jacksmania Wed 03-Oct-12 04:03:21

Good night - will check in when you when it's morning in my time zone.

FelicityElectricity Wed 03-Oct-12 04:24:21

Another hand here. The most important thing is whatever it is you get started on the right treatment to help with your symptoms. I hope everything goes ok.

justbogoffnow Wed 03-Oct-12 13:52:42

Big sigh of relief, GP didn't mention cancer, I had a range of general blood tests and I'd assume something would crop up as being a suspicious indication of it, so phew!

Ok, doesn't solve how ill I have been feeling but GP doing her best to investigate. Adrenal gland function to be checked, as kidneys seem ok, even though the location of the pain is in the kidney region.

Maybe the receptionists have had some recent customer service training or something, because it was the change in the rules for making appointments that really put me in panic mode.

Thanks again for support whilst I was imagining the worst. I'm not sure if other people who have had cancer react as I have, that niggle in the back of the mind which can suddenly get out of proportion when you feel v unwell.

Jacksmania Wed 03-Oct-12 15:40:18

So, so glad for you. Here, have some brew and biscuit and thanks.

trumpton Wed 03-Oct-12 17:35:02

Oh phew . So please that their kindness wasn't sinister grin

Homebird8 Wed 03-Oct-12 19:32:59

Fantastic news. So glad you're being looked after and your worst fears weren't realised grin

justbogoffnow Thu 04-Oct-12 01:25:41

Thanks, you're all smashing smile

Jacksmania Thu 04-Oct-12 18:52:02

I was wondering (am in the health care field) - if your thyroid and parathyroids have been removed, you must be on Synthroid or similar? Have your doses been checked?
I'm not in the UK so this might not be helpful to you, but I wonder if your GP could send you for more bloods to test your circulating cortisol levels, or maybe a salivary hormone panel to test cortisol? Just a thought because of yore symptoms. You could be in adrenal failure, or, snd this happened to one of my patients, have an atypical combination of Cushing's and Addison's syndrome. The lady I'm thinking of had both hyper- and hypoaldesteronism. Never heard of that before.

Anyway, just a thought - but so pleased for you that it was nothing horrible. thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now