Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

DD has worms..What shall I do beside getting a treatment for her ?

(9 Posts)
SUMMERFRUIT Tue 02-Oct-12 20:42:57

Does she need to stay at home ? Can she go to her swimming course ? Do I need to tell her school what is going on ?

EvilTwins Tue 02-Oct-12 20:46:16

Is it threadworms? DTD2 had that recently. Got treatment for the whole family, stripped the beds, washed everything, made sure both kids were washing their hands properly and that was all it took. One dose of the treatment sorted it out. No need to stop doing anything. According to one thing I read online (so it's bound to be right hmm) one in five primary school kids have them at any given point. Nice. DTD1 didn't get them, and neither did DH or I. Phew.

sittinginthesun Tue 02-Oct-12 20:48:43

We've just had them too. Well, DS1 and DS2 have.

Treatment, washed all bed linen and changed Pyjamas. Another lecture and washing hand with warm water and soap..

RancerDoo Tue 02-Oct-12 20:49:22

No big deal. Give her the ovex, have her wear pants at night (esp if slim fitting) and get her to wash her hands when she wakes for a few days.

SizzleSazz Tue 02-Oct-12 20:49:31

DD1 gets them once every 3 months or so. As she is in pull ups at night, i now just give her a tablet and wash her bedding. She has always been fine by the next morning.

She is trying SO much harder to wash her hands after the loo, but she sucks her thumb and i don't think this helps. DD2, non thumb sucker, has never had them.

SUMMERFRUIT Tue 02-Oct-12 20:49:50

Yes thank you, it is threadworms so I'll need to get her something in the morning and I'll send her to school as normal then..<boak>

RancerDoo Tue 02-Oct-12 20:51:53

Oh by the way the whole family should take ovex because it is common for everyone to have worms if one does!

EmptyCrispPackets Tue 02-Oct-12 21:00:01

My daughter gets these too, and sometimes frequently. Always has screaming fits during the night saying her bits are itchy and sore - apparently they crawl around to the vagina at night. I thought it was thrush until numerous nurse / visits come up with nothing and a friend mentioned worms to me.

Hand washing is the the preventative for sure, I just wish other parents would install it a bit more in their kids.

SizzleSazz Tue 02-Oct-12 21:51:15

Oh bless her - is there no way you can get to a late night pharmacy? sad

It is normally very painful at night. We have a stash of ovex in and immediately she says she is itchy she has one and as long as she can get to sleep she is fine in the morning.

you may have a very disturbed night if you have nothing to give her now.

I agree with Rancer that Ovex recommend everyone takes a tablet, which we have in the past, but have worked out that it is only dd1 who seems to ever get them and we only treat her now much cheaper

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now