Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Health Anxiety about Breasts

(6 Posts)
craziedaisy Tue 02-Oct-12 12:38:18

I have been having pain in my right breasts on and off for some months. I have been back to see 3 different doctors at my practice and they are all confident that there isn't anything to be concerned about. I can sometimes feel a squishy lump in my breast near my armpit but my doctor said that I have breast tissue that goes more under my right armpit more than my left which is what I can feel.

I just cannot let go to there being a problem and it is making me ill. The problem is that this is not the first time that I have had panic about my health and in the past I have had spent money going privately to have further tests done only to be told that there is nothing wrong. Does anyone suffer from anxiety about breasts? Are you reasured by a doctor alone or is this not enough? Sorry for my rambling.

MrsB74 Tue 02-Oct-12 13:43:00

I have a similar problem at the moment, in that I have pain in my left breast. I got checked out at the breast clinic a few months ago following an abscess, and all was apparently ok, but my breast now aches so I'm going back to the gp this week. If you are that worried I would ask for a referral to put your mind at rest. I have a tendency to worry too, but it's best to be safe!

coffeecake Wed 03-Oct-12 13:44:06

Yes it's best to be safe, but also try and go on Nomorepanic, it's a fantastic website for anxiety sufferers, and most of them suffer from health anxiety.
Don't worry I'm sure your doctor is right and it's nothing, but have it checked further if you feel like it will stop your anxiety.
All the best xx

beaware Mon 08-Oct-12 23:15:00

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

MaryAnnSingleton Tue 09-Oct-12 07:37:39

sorry to hear of your health anxieties- I wondered whether you might have thought about Mindfulness meditation for calming and relaxing ? it focusses your attention on the present moment,rather than projecting forwards or backwards. There's also a book about overcoming health anxiety which I'll find and link to.
Pain in the breasts is very rarely a sign of anything untoward.

MaryAnnSingleton Tue 09-Oct-12 07:42:45

here - it's written by David Veale who wrote an excellent book about overcoming OCD

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now