Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

M R Enterography? Anyone heard of it?

(8 Posts)
l4k Tue 02-Oct-12 12:37:37

I saw a gastroentlogist this morning who wants me to have one of these and I have never heard of it.
I have all the usual ibs symptoms plus an intolerance or two and he suggested a diagnostic gastrography (think that's just an endoscopy) to rule out coeliac too. I have been on a gluten free diet for about 18 months so I'm skeptical, but he said if you know what you're looking for there can be lasting signs and scarring.
The MRE thingy is to look for any sign of inflamitory bowel disease.
But he thinks most likely they'll be clear and I'll have ibs and food sensitivities.
Any one had this?
Thanks.

l4k Wed 03-Oct-12 13:34:19

I would really like to hear about it if anyone has ever had one of these.

l4k Thu 04-Oct-12 21:47:56

Bumping because hospital rang and apparently it will be one day next week!

l4k Fri 05-Oct-12 13:24:58

They rang back, it's Monday afternoon. Am to be nil by mouth from 12 pm sun night. I will struggle with that, my pituitary condition means I can't make my own stress hormone , cortisol so I replace with hydrocortisone tablets but no food or drink complicate things. Told dh and he's really cross with me for agreeing to have the test in the afternoon( have to be there at 1:45) and is worried I won't cope.
Just great.

l4k Sat 06-Oct-12 09:12:04

Bump

callow Sat 06-Oct-12 09:30:31

The only thing you can do is phone the department where the test is taking place. Ask if there is a nurse or radiographer you can speak to. Explain that due to your medical condition you are unable to fast for long periods. There are people like diabetics that can't fast for long periods as well so they will be used to this.

They might need to change the time of the appointment.

If there is no one in the department (it might be closed as it is the weekend) ask to speak with someone in the general Xray department.

LittenTree Sun 07-Oct-12 13:49:23

Wonder if they're planning one of these?

Does that sound right?

I searcher 'small bowel MRI' on Dr Google!

l4k Sun 07-Oct-12 14:36:37

Thank you, yes it sounds very similar. Only difference I can see is I've not been told to do low residue diet or laxative before hand.
Tried to get hold of my endocrinologist but he didn't get back to me. Spoke to pituitary patient helpline who said all you can do is take double the steroids and try it. If I feel ill I'll have to eat and re-schedule the MRI / MRE . So I'm going to give it a go.
Thanks again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now