Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Postpartum thyroid condition

(8 Posts)
Lawabidingmama Mon 01-Oct-12 22:46:17

My hv recently noticed my neck looked swollen so I was referred to GP who organised bloods. Turns out I've got an under active thyroid probably due to having a baby 6 months ago. My tsh was 99 ( should be no higher than 4) so GP suggested thyroxine while I wait to see endo consultant. I've not started thyroxine yet as I'm bf but as this has affected my supply and I now feel pretty crap ( knackered aching sore throat etc) I've started weaning DD and want to start treatment just after some advice/ similar experience really

sunnyday123 Mon 01-Oct-12 22:50:45

I had the same 8 years ago after dd, been on meds since and had no probs once the meds kicked in. They don't effect bf (i bf even on thyroxine) so take right away as you need to sort your levels out.

sunnyday123 Mon 01-Oct-12 22:51:24

Sorry i meant Im sure it's fine to bf on thyroxine!

Lawabidingmama Mon 01-Oct-12 23:02:23

Thanks my GP was reluctant to start me on thyroxine as like most drugs there's a caution against taking while bf so he wanted to see what endo said but my appt isn't for 2 months!! My very good friend is a mw and she said loads of women bf on thyroxine so I'm sure it would be fine but as I was starting to wean anyway I figured I would wait but I've since started feeling like crap! Do you mind if I ask if it affected your fertility I'm on DC2 both of whom conceived in a week (tmi!) and would love DC3,eventually so I'm a bit worried. Also I was told the condition could self limit after a year but you say your still on treatments 8 yrs on?

Asmywhimsytakesme Mon 01-Oct-12 23:03:07

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Zipitydooda Mon 01-Oct-12 23:23:41

I have had this 3 times now after my 3 children.

After 1 and 2 it was diagnosed as post partum thyroiditis. I didn't take medication and my thyroid went back to normal after about a year (slightly over). My consultant advised against medicating for post partum thyroiditis as he didn't want to interfere with the throid returning itself to normal functioning. By baby no3 he said that he would have medicated me as knowledge about the condition has moved on.

After no3 was initially diagnosed as this and then diagnosis changed to Graves disease. Neither I nor my consultant is quite sure why/how. I've been taking medication for a few months and my thyroid is gradually calming down and I'm reducing the dose.
Consultant said it shouldn't prevent me having more children. I just need regular blood tests to check on thyroid functioning.
I got pregnant v easily with all three of mine.

sunnyday123 Tue 02-Oct-12 13:19:28

Hi

It won't affect fertility at all as long as your levels are right - fertility is massively reduced if levels are not balanced and miscarriage rates much higher too so it's very important to get it sorted before ttc. I actually got pregnant quicker each time!

You def should not be waiting to see your endo, most gps are rubbish with thyroid but still it's needs treating straight away- my gp did my test, got results and demanded I get my prescription that day! Your levels not being right are likely to be far worse for bf than taking thyroxine?

Once diagnosed, I was told its likely to be for life so I'll always be on thyroxine. Nobody ever mentioned that it was temporary! They will monitor every 6 months so you'll fine out in time if your levels balance out.

CaringMum28 Wed 03-Oct-12 00:12:53

Hi jug to say go back and demand thyroxine.
I was dignified when baby was 6m and my supply was majorly affexted. Baby fretting all the time etc not happy. Put on 50mg (since upped to 150) and bf was retired within 2 days. Don't wait!wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now