Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Any natural supplements to boost immunity?

(17 Posts)
QuintessentialShadows Sun 30-Sep-12 12:12:36

Does anybody know what I can take to boost my immunity?

I have pretty much lived on antibiotics for various soft tissue infections since March. I feel run down and tired, fat and lumpy as I have felt too tired and unwell to exercise.

What can I take to boost my immune system and stay healthy?

I took some marine algae tablets with iodine in Norway, but I cant remember what it was called, only the look of the box, and that made me feel more energetic.

Any thing else?

cocolepew Sun 30-Sep-12 12:20:44

I would take a course if Pharmaton, they are very good at building you up after illness. Start taking an Omega supplement.
I read your post, I'm sory you've had such a hard time lately.

cocolepew Sun 30-Sep-12 12:21:27

Oh and Manuka honey.

QuintessentialShadows Sun 30-Sep-12 14:03:07

Thanks, I will check out the honey and pharmaton. I eat fish nearly every day, tuna, mackerel and salmon, so should not need any supplement for omega 3 I think.

Gigondas Sun 30-Sep-12 14:04:29

Propolis, aloe Vera and most of all probiotics as antibiotics do deplete your system.

blue2 Sun 30-Sep-12 14:08:41

I'd start with probiotics - and keep up a largish does for about 6 months. Your digestive system will have no friendly bacteria in it. (apparently, the digestive system constitutes about 70% of your immune system - or so I've been told)

Sprucing up your digestion, flora and fauna will help hugely.

I take these - they're good as they don't need to be refrigerated.www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=bio-kult&tag=googhydr-21&index=aps&hvadid=9509101145&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=536934659785964708&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&ref=pd_sl_9nbbdl8vu8_e

coffeeinbed Sun 30-Sep-12 14:45:18

I used Sambucol last flu season.
Will have to get some now.

Fluffycloudland77 Sun 30-Sep-12 18:10:02

If I eat a lot of fish I get ill.

Zinc citrate is good for the immune system.

tedhutchinson Mon 01-Oct-12 14:12:57

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our <a target="_blank" href="/info/netiquette" rel="nofollow">Talk Guidelines</a>. Replies may also be deleted.

tedhutchinson Mon 01-Oct-12 14:24:16

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our <a target="_blank" href="/info/netiquette" rel="nofollow">Talk Guidelines</a>. Replies may also be deleted.

R2PeePoo Mon 01-Oct-12 21:11:18

Spatone is a good one for boosting iron. I always feel more energised after a couple of days worth.

QuintessentialShadows Tue 02-Oct-12 15:09:45

Thanks for all this. I have bought a Multibionta supplement with probiotics and vitamins. I also have vitamin b complex and berocca in high dose. This is a start.

grin

QuintessentialShadows Tue 02-Oct-12 15:11:41

Tedhutchinson, thanks for all that info. Will read and digest (sorry for the pun) all the information and the links.

QuintessentialShadows Tue 02-Oct-12 15:17:38

Ted, those links are great.

I did not even know what Omega6 was! But it turns out that my only source of omea6 is the occasional handful of peanuts, and my 2-3 daily walnuts crushed over my greek youghurt for breakfast. (pineapple, mango, blueberries, rasperries with dollop of natural youghurt for breakfast, topped with 2-3 walnuts)

Should I cut down on the walnuts?

What about avocados? My lunch will often consist of a salad with leaves, avocado, cucumber, tomatoes, and either some tuna or smoked salmon.

tedhutchinson Tue 02-Oct-12 15:30:32

tedhutchinson Tue 02-Oct-12 15:38:33

tedhutchinson Tue 02-Oct-12 16:00:45

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now