Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Can anyone help diagnose me?

(33 Posts)
idobelieveinfairies Sun 30-Sep-12 10:54:27

Starting to get a bit worried :/

I woke up Monday morning with what felt like a pulled hamstring and calf muscle. Not sure why it would have been sore as I had done nothing that would of caused it. Was fine on the Sunday evening,

Anyway, I have been taking co-dydramol and nurofen for the pain on and off. It was always worse in the morning, once I had been walking around it seemed to loosen up and then be ok.

It hurts now and again when I am sitting/ driving so would shift weight on to other side more.

This morning it is 10 times worse. It fells like the muscles (especially calf) are rock hard, with pond and needles at the same time. When I stand I feel wobbly as if there is no strength in that leg anymore.

I thought any muscle strain would have been on the mend by now?

I'd there anything else it could be?

Bit if history- I have a weak back due to twin pregnancies, pulled muscles a few times, but of hop pain. This had always been on the right hand side of back/hip though, this time it is left leg.

Maybe a bit more rest? Or do you think doctor time now?

Otherwise feel fine.....maybe just s bit headachey than usual.

Thanks for reading.

idobelieveinfairies Sun 30-Sep-12 10:55:26

Pins and needles that should be!!

FushiaFernica Sun 30-Sep-12 11:01:16

Have you tried using ice on the affected area?

EdMcDunnough Sun 30-Sep-12 11:04:37

This sounds like sciatica, to me. I could be wrong! Basically a pinched nerve somewhere.

You should go to the Dr about it - I get it in every pregnancy but I know it'll go away at the end iyswim.

If you're not pg it will have some other cause. Go and get it checked out.

idobelieveinfairies Sun 30-Sep-12 11:06:32

No I haven't.... It feels like a really deep area/problem so not sure if it would help???

But I will try now you have mentioned it. Thanks.

idobelieveinfairies Sun 30-Sep-12 11:09:45

Definitely not pregnant. Will google siatica.

A pinched nerve sounds more plausible than pulled muscles as I really haven't done anything strenuous to cause that type of injury.

awaywego1 Sun 30-Sep-12 11:11:33

Maybe get it checked out as it sounds a bit like a DVT.

I'd say sciatica too.
Time for GP.

purplewithred Sun 30-Sep-12 11:14:53

Lots of possibilities but dvt on my list too (I am NOT a doctor etc). I'd get it checked out too.

HumphreyCobbler Sun 30-Sep-12 11:15:56

I thought maybe DVT - I would get it checked.

mamalovesmojitos Sun 30-Sep-12 11:16:46

Am NOT a doctor but it sounds like the symptoms I had with a DVT. Get thee to a doctor to be safe.

idobelieveinfairies Sun 30-Sep-12 11:24:39

DVt.....as in deep vein thrombosis? How serious is that?

Should I go to a&e? There is usually a 2 day wait for an appointment at my doctors, do you think that would be ok? :/

HumphreyCobbler Sun 30-Sep-12 11:26:07

I would phone NHS direct and see what they say.

BigusBumus Sun 30-Sep-12 11:27:22

I'd go to A&E right now. DVT can kill you. (sorry, that sounds awful and blunt, but it really is very serious). Better get checked out.

mamalovesmojitos Sun 30-Sep-12 11:27:40

I would go to A&E to be honest. Don't want to alarm you. Yes, deep vein thrombosis. They can be managed well and you'll make a full recovery but time is really, really important. Are you in Britain? Do you have a health helpline you can call for advice? Also, measure the circumference of both calves and see if the sore one is wider. Don't worry, it's just better to be safe than sorry smile.

FushiaFernica Sun 30-Sep-12 11:28:08

Maybe start at a walk in centre, I actually thought your symptoms sounded like sciatica, but DVT sounds scary.

idobelieveinfairies Sun 30-Sep-12 11:29:24

We haven't got the NHL here. When we phone a&e they just say it's up to you whether you come in. I don't want to waste their time though.

Will prob wait til Tuesday. Is there any symptoms that would show up if it was that and getting worse?

mamalovesmojitos Sun 30-Sep-12 11:29:56

When you get there tell them explicitly that u think it's a DVT. I waited there for hours, when they finally it on scan they said I should have made more of a fuss at reception.

Dont walk to hospital. Can someone bring you?

Pavlovthecat Sun 30-Sep-12 11:31:44

If you have a bad back, has that ever been diagnosed? It might be that you have a disc problem, which could be pinching/trapping the nerve. If the pain continues to remain at this level, and the weakness in the leg continues and won't shift with strong painkillers, go to A&E. If you leave it and it does turn out to be a trapped nerve, the damage can be irreversable if you don't get it treated soon. It is much better to go there and find it is nothing than ignore it and be left with permanent weaker leg.

And at the same time they can check and rule out DVT.

The problem with waiting to see GP is that if it is back related they will refer you through the primary care route first not hospital and any damage will be left until it is too late. If you go to A&E and they feel there is a problem they will fast track you to MRI and other routes necessary to rule things out/in.

I talk from experience, while I don't have a weak leg, I have significant leg pain, which is constant even when my back pain has eased off. It used to be right leg but is now largely in left leg, hip and back, including pins and needles in calf and foot. I went down primary care route, it took 4 months for an MRI to be considered, 1 month from that for fastrack due to pain/sciatica and now got to go through it all again. As soon as I get any weakness I will be going straight to A&E this time.

mamalovesmojitos Sun 30-Sep-12 11:32:48

i wouldnt wait. Maybe it is a trapped nerve And you'll be embarrassed after waiting in A&E. But maybe not.

I thought I had a calf muscle cramp. I walked most of the way to hospital until I couldn't physically walk. I felt perfect everywhere else. Thought it was muscle problems. All the while the massive clot was travelling up my leg. I'm lucky to be alive.

Pavlovthecat Sun 30-Sep-12 11:34:37

I just saw you said you are going to wait. I don't think you should. If DVT, as people have said, time is of an essence. Same for nerve entrapment. It is much better to get there and be told it is neither of those things and be sent home with some good effective pain relief than take a chance.

fuckadoodlepoopoo Sun 30-Sep-12 11:35:31

No don't wait til Tuesday. You need to go now!

Pavlovthecat Sun 30-Sep-12 11:35:48

mama even a trapped nerve is serious.

TheLightPassenger Sun 30-Sep-12 11:37:56

I agree with going to A & E, as even if it is back/nerve related, rather than a DVT, I would take such a sudden deterioration v seriously

mamalovesmojitos Sun 30-Sep-12 11:40:45

Sorry Pavlov. I dont know anything about trapped nerves (luckily). I didn't know if they could be fatal in a few hours. Sorry op. As I said I'm no doctor. Speak to someone who is.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now