Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Really bad recessed gum on one tooth, dentist not an option

(6 Posts)
mirai Sun 30-Sep-12 08:40:25

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

tabbycat15 Sun 30-Sep-12 11:39:34

I have the same problem & I'm in Australia so dentist's are really expensive. I have a few fillings to do & have dental healthcare but still have to pay $700. I'm booked next week to have it done. It would normally cost me $1,350 otherwise.
The dentist recommended using a sensitive toothpaste but if left receding for a long time will mean more expensive treatment later.

zeldapinwheel Sun 30-Sep-12 11:49:42

There is nothing you can do to get the gum back to were it should be. All u can really do is stop it getting worse, u need to keep the areas exceptionally clean. There's not much a dentist can really do either, maybe splint the tooth when it becomes loose (which it soon will) but that can adversely effect the adjacent teeth. You're probably looking at an extraction and maybe a bridge but if your other teeth are affected also more likely you'll need a denture.

olivo Sun 30-Sep-12 18:39:25

How bad is bad? I some on 3 molars which got worse when I was pg with Dd2, but my dentist didn't say it was a problem, just to keep using the sensitive paste.

I certainly hadn't anticipated losing teeth and such sad

zeldapinwheel Sun 30-Sep-12 20:06:00

More teeth are lost through gum disease (the cause of the recession) than decay. You can slow it down with good oral hygiene , daily flossing , brushing at least twice a day and using chlorhexide mouthwash (corsodyl). Regular hygienist visits would help too.

RandomMess Sun 30-Sep-12 20:09:28

Urgh can you go home for a long weekend to see the dentist?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now