Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

How to help friend been diagnosed with terminal cancer

(5 Posts)
aliceb4 Sat 29-Sep-12 17:04:29

My friend has been told that she has 3-12 months to live - she has a rare cancer. She was discharged from hospital yesterday following an op to try to remove all the cancer that didn't go as well as hoped, without any real advice on what next or how or what to tell the kids etc (they are 10 and 12). If anyone has some advice or could point her to something useful written about this would be grateful to hear - she's sore and low and not seeing hospice until next week. Thanks.

shrimponastick Sat 29-Sep-12 20:26:18

Oh gosh. I am so sorry to hear this.

I don't have any sage advice. Just be her friend.

Hope you get some more useful responses.

alkar Sat 29-Sep-12 20:30:28

My friend died from a brain tumour a few weeks ago. Tips for her children would be to make a memory box, which u can help her with if she's not up to it. Also thinking about the funeral in advance, nice thing for kids is after the funeral go somewhere they chose together and let go of helium balloons for their mum. It's hard. My friend had just over a year and it still wasn't enough sad

YouSmegHead Sat 29-Sep-12 20:35:43

I'm so sorry. I'm sure I still have a book about how to support someone dying if you like me to post it to you? Just on me.

Re the kids do you have a local charity that deals with supporting children they might be able to help. this one helped a friends family but you can look at the website and search for one near you.

YouSmegHead Sat 29-Sep-12 20:36:01

*just pm me

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now