This is page 1 of 1 (This thread has 19 messages.)
Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.
A question for the pus experts: squeeze, cut, wait or go to Minor Injuries?
I have a cyst on my back. The Dr has seen it and put in for me to have it surgically removed, but there is no sign of an appointment yet.
Meanwhile it has become infected: angry, red and sore with a soft core.
I have an appointment at the dr on Thursday to see if I can get antibiotics, or get bumped up the waiting list before it blows.
Last night it started weeping goo, not enough to drain, but seems like it is becoming unstable.
DH thinks I should go to Minor Injuries today and see if they can do anything. I am getting tempted to puncture it with a sterilised needle (except it's on my back, so would have to get DH to do it). Or I could wait till Thursday and hope it doesn't get worse.
Actually squeeze isn't really an option at the moment. I squeezed it last night when it was weepy, but it's not yielding any more to pressure (like maybe there was a sub-chamber that emptied, but not the main one?).
Try lying in a hot salt bath. It may draw the pus out.
Manuka honey is great when the pus starts coming out. It just nukes the bacteria. I have used it on a couple of very nasty ingrowing toenails when my son was younger and I did not want him to have ABs. The podiatrist was amazed how well it worked.
No to squeezing because of risk of further infection. It needs to be lanced properly via syringing (that in itself can take some time) and you will need a course of antibiotics afterwards to clear up the infection that is already there.
I did go to Minor Injuries yesterday who gave me antibiotics. It was oozing a bit yesterday night so I put a dressing on it, when I took it off this afternoon it was pus city. It is now much flatter and oozy, but there is no open "bullet hole" and the area is red and yellow.
DH cleaned and dressed it.
Any more advice appreciated at this stage? Should I just keep taking the ABs and changing the dressing and go to the Dr Thursday, or does it require more urgent attention?