Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

age 58 and doc suggests mirena coil - any experiences?

(10 Posts)
jans18 Fri 28-Sep-12 20:34:35

I'm an older Mum (youngest 13). After easy menopause several years ago. a year ago started bleeding. Finally 3 ultrasound scans and shows thickening of uterus to 13.5. Being offered a mirena coil following a second D&C by private gyne consultant. Any experiences with this? Don't like idea of taking any drugs.

lapsedorienteerer Fri 28-Sep-12 20:56:20

I'm 50 and on my second Mirena (they last 5 years). I think they're great, had my first fitted after D&C for heavy bleeding. No bleeding at all after 1 year, brilliantgrin.

ToothbrushThief Fri 28-Sep-12 21:04:02

Sorry but I think this is wrong.

Bleeding after the menopause is not normal. Have you had endometrial biopsy? If not, your Dr is negligent

ToothbrushThief Fri 28-Sep-12 21:04:58

PMB info

ToothbrushThief Fri 28-Sep-12 21:06:17

D&C was the biopsy - sorry skim read!

I'd still not be happy

lapsedorienteerer Fri 28-Sep-12 21:10:00

ToothBrush - it is possible to have a late menopause....but also just re-read and realised OP mentions having gone through menopause. Sorry, did not read fully before posting.

spanky2 Fri 28-Sep-12 21:10:04

I had a d&c and the mirena coil fitted. I had periods from hell and now i occasionally get spotting. I am going to get a new one in two weeks. I have asked for local anesthetic when it is done. I would recommend it. I'm 39 and have 2ds if that helps!

ToothbrushThief Fri 28-Sep-12 21:39:45

Glad I'm not the only skim reader lapsed !

I think there is a big difference between bleeding issues before and after menopause. It is NOT normal to have bleeding post menopause. I can see D&C biopsy would give them answers however. I had a short course of progesterone to shed endometrial hyperplasia. I case the mirena is intended to do the same thing.

ToothbrushThief Fri 28-Sep-12 21:41:08

guess not case

jans18 Tue 02-Oct-12 19:45:51

Thanks all, nobody seems anti the mirena, which is positive. Hate taking any form of drugs, I'm ultra sensitive and even coffee and alcahol affect me (boring lightweight/inexpensive date that I am). However, wd rather not develop the sort of horrific cancer that wiped out my friend at age 34. Post menopausal is probably different risk, but still looks quite worrying. Have just swapped to a female obs/gynae who seems determined to follow through, which is reassuring. I'll see her later this week to decide exactly what to do next. Thanks for replies.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now