Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

What could this be - sore hot rash on one side of neck?

(11 Posts)
ForkForever Fri 28-Sep-12 19:56:24

I have developed in the last 24-48 hours, a lumpy rash on the back/side of my neck, on the right hand side. It doesn't itch but it has got gradually more sore and now feels hot and irritated to the touch. My neck also feels slightly sore on that side when I bend it. Can't see it in the miror due to location!

I feel absolutely fine otherwise and havent been ill recently. I don't know exactly when it started as I very often have a few scratches on the back of my neck due to my toddeler stcratching me when I give him a piggyback hmm And this did happen yesterday before I noticed the rash and soreness.

vodkaanddietirnbru Fri 28-Sep-12 22:43:25

maybe shingles?

louisea Wed 03-Oct-12 15:19:18

Hives?

tabbycat15 Thu 04-Oct-12 02:08:10

I was thinking shingles too or allergic reaction. Best to get it checked out.
Could you show a pharmacist if you can't get to a Dr?

Paramedic2012 Thu 04-Oct-12 06:40:49

Could be cellulitis from the scratches and fingernails having bacteria on them.

LeMousquetaireAnonyme Thu 04-Oct-12 06:44:34

spider bite? infected boil/wound/bite...?
show a pharmacist or a doc, if it is spreading you could be in trouble in a few hours time

ForkForever Thu 04-Oct-12 21:11:54

Ok, the mystery deepens....

Sore neck seems to have been a red herring.

Rash has spread over my whole torso - I can see it now (couldn't when it was on back of neck!) and it starts as a cluster of teeeeny little red dots that itch, but only a mild itch. Then they go red and form a bigger raise dry flaky scabby bit. If I scratch it, the whole area gets red, hot, and tingly.

I have patches of it all over my back, stomach, chest, neck, and my scalp really itches too (no nits, friend checked for me!). Only a couple of little bits on my legs but it seems to have spread downwards so maybe that is yet to come hmm

I do get severe skin reactions to bites, it was awful when the cat got fleas, I had huge bites that itched for weeks. But this rash only itches a little bit compared to that - its more of a dry irritation tbh.

Its a doctor thing, isnt it [groan]

Rosa Thu 04-Oct-12 21:17:20

I hope its not but Shigles possibly...... I would go asap and get it checked ..aloe vera pure in the man time?

ForkForever Thu 04-Oct-12 21:22:39

I really don't think it is shingles, it isn't painful for a start, and the rash doesn't look like it either.

I am gessing allergic reaction, maybe to washing powder? Though why my scalp would itch from that I don't know. I use whatever 'green' stuff is on offer at any time, so am always switching brands though and never had any trouble before confused

ForkForever Thu 04-Oct-12 21:51:08

Aarrggh just tried putting some antihistamine cream on it and OMIGOD it is burning now angry

LeMousquetaireAnonyme Fri 05-Oct-12 11:37:06

How are you?
I hope you have been seen by now.
If the rash is sandpaperish it could be scarlet fever too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now