Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Anyone else have mouth ulcers while taking tramadol?

(16 Posts)
Pavlovthecat Fri 28-Sep-12 18:27:43

I have two big ones on the front of my tongue, right on the tip, and they are getting bigger not smaller, I presume due to the location. I have just put salt straight onto them aaaaaaaaaaargh as I was so fed up did not want to wait for the kettle to boil for salt mouth wash. I have have marginal relief from the bastard things. And my gums are sore.

I have only been taking the modified release ones for a week or so, when taking the normal ones I had a couple of ulcers but did not think much of it. I am wondering if it is the tramadol (or maybe another of the million drugs I am taking) or I am just run-down.

And, any tips for quick disappearance of them? they are horrid.

Nigglenaggle Fri 28-Sep-12 20:20:43

sad I dont think it will be the tramadol, maybe something else you are taking? I think elimination of cause is the main chance of success - good luck!

Pavlovthecat Fri 28-Sep-12 20:36:00

mmm don't think that is going to work. I can't stop taking any of meds, unless I want my other pain to be unbearable, which it almost is at the moment anyway, any reduction of any meds will have me layed up in bed, in tears.
<sigh> I shall just add it to the list of ailments that seem to be plaguing me right now sad

ChunkyMonkeyMother Fri 28-Sep-12 20:39:50

Hi Pavlov, my DH used to take straight tramadol and did suffer from mouth ulcers but we never really put two and two together! He's also on a load of other meds, he's changed to marol which is slow release tramadol and they seem to have stopped - maybe ask for a variant? In the meantime a god dp lodge of bonjela helped him

Pavlovthecat Fri 28-Sep-12 20:41:24

Ah I just googled medication that can cause mouth sores, not sure why i didn't word it that way to start with confused

but anyway, a list of medications that can cause mouth sores is on NHS website, and it stated NSAID medication as a medicine which can cause it. Well that will be the horrendous amount of that I have been taking in the last 9 months. Wonder why it is in full force now?

Of course it could be something else, stress or something, but there appears to be no pattern to it, as in I have been more stressed recently than I am right now, I am in pain and a bit stressed but nothing more than I have been in last 9 months, and possibly less. So I thought the only thing that it might be was tramadol as that is all that has changed, but definitely i think it is medicine related not sure why

Nigglenaggle Fri 28-Sep-12 20:43:04

If you think it is that then how about asking for some sucralfate? May help?

Pavlovthecat Fri 28-Sep-12 20:43:37

Oh that is interesting. I am on slow release but not that version. I will go see what it is called. are they different then, the different names? i thought it was just the brand, as i sometimes have had a different brand for the same modified release tramadol. I will see if i get another one and if it does not go away/increases I will ask to change.

Pavlovthecat Fri 28-Sep-12 20:44:06

oh what is that? <goes off to google>

Pavlovthecat Fri 28-Sep-12 20:48:08

oh it is like omeprazole, but for different ulcer it seems? I did not know there was more than one kind of ulcer! I take 20mg of omeprazole daily, have done for about 3 weeks or so after developing indigestion and acid sick! Like I said, lots of lovely wonderful ailments plaguing me these days (mostly medication related grin)

sub17 Fri 28-Sep-12 20:49:35

I've never had mouth ulcers whilst taking tramadol but also haven't taken it for prolonged periods of time.
I am no doctor but I guess it is possible that the mouth ulcers have only started recently as the medication has built up in your system so are only now having an effect on your body, it could be a combination of that with stress as well, it's probably difficult for you to find out the cause for definite!
I hope you feel better soon - I too recommend bonjela.

Pavlovthecat Fri 28-Sep-12 20:58:27

I used to have some Orajel, for the children which we bought in USA. It is so hardcore I only used it on DD a couple of times! I think we can get it for adults in the UK, not sure so might pop into boots. Problem will bonjela is I love the taste of it so aways lick it off! blush

Nigglenaggle Sun 30-Sep-12 20:48:40

I think you can take sucralfate with omeprazole... so attack the evil little things from more than one angle...

Bonjela makes me gag! Each to their own ;P

Pavlovthecat Sun 30-Sep-12 21:30:44

oh I will look into it then, the main culprit is still there a huge crater on the tip of my tongue and it bloody hurts!

Paramedic2012 Thu 04-Oct-12 07:01:12

Tramadol has so many side effects. But it does stress the body and immune system. I get cold sore all over back, neck, and head if I take it. Plus it causes seizures with me at low doses. Bettet off asking for controlled narcotics. Has the same effects without the side problems and not as hard on your body.

Catper33 Thu 04-Oct-12 09:02:10

Tramadol is a horrible drug with the dr's who prescribe it not always warning you about the withdrawal symptoms when you stop taking it. Be really careful with it as the side effects are not pleasant and stopping is even worse. (Same with Gabapentin.) Completely agree with Paramedic2012, other drugs can sometimes be more effective, less side effects and no/minimal withdrawal symptoms.

Chicago7 Sun 12-Jun-16 14:31:58

I cannot take tramadol anymore - because it effects my gums so badly... Doesn't really matter what anyone say about this (including Dr's) IT DOES!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now