Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Ovarian cyst, treatment and when will it go?

(13 Posts)
Lavenderhoney Fri 28-Sep-12 10:54:18

Been told this week have ovarian cyst, seen it on the scan, horrible thing. Have been given tablets to get rid of it, gyny says I will have an af and it will go. How long til it goes for good? She also said a probable cause of the cyst was not enough hormones gained from sex, ie I clearly hadn't been sleeping with my husband. Is this right? The more I think about it, the weirder it sounds.
Any one else got a cyst?

AttilaTheMeerkat Fri 28-Sep-12 11:34:04

I would seriously consider getting a second opinion if this is what you have been told by this gynae.

What tablets as well were you given?.

The following are types of ovarian cyst:-

Follicular cyst: This type of simple cyst can form when ovulation does not occur or when a mature follicle involutes (collapses on itself). A follicular cyst usually forms at the time of ovulation and can grow to about 2.3 inches in diameter. The rupture of this type of cyst can create sharp severe pain on the side of the ovary on which the cyst appears. This sharp pain (sometimes called mittelschmerz) occurs in the middle of the menstrual cycle, during ovulation. About one-fourth of women with this type of cyst experience pain. Usually, these cysts produce no symptoms and disappear by themselves within a few months.

Corpus luteum cyst: This type of functional ovarian cyst occurs after an egg has been released from a follicle. After this happens, the follicle becomes what is known as a corpus luteum. If a pregnancy doesn't occur, the corpus luteum usually breaks down and disappears. It may, however, fill with fluid or blood and persist on the ovary. Usually, this cyst is found on only one side and produces no symptoms.

Hemorrhagic cyst: This type of functional cyst occurs when bleeding occurs within a cyst. Symptoms such as abdominal pain on one side of the body may be present with this type of cyst.

Dermoid cyst: This is a type of benign tumor sometimes referred to as mature cystic teratoma. It is an abnormal cyst that usually affects younger women and may grow to 6 inches in diameter. A dermoid cyst can contain other benign types of growths of body tissues such as fat and occasionally bone, hair, and cartilage.

The ultrasound image of this cyst type can vary because of the spectrum of contents, but a CT scan and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) can show the presence of fat and dense calcifications.
These cysts can become inflamed. They can also twist around (a condition known as ovarian torsion), compromising their blood supply and causing severe abdominal pain.

Endometriomas or endometrioid cysts: Part of the condition known as endometriosis, this type of cyst is formed when endometrial tissue (the lining tissue of the uterus) is present on the ovaries. It affects women during the reproductive years and may cause chronic pelvic pain associated with menstruation.

AttilaTheMeerkat Fri 28-Sep-12 11:34:48

The following are risk factors for developing ovarian cysts:

History of previous ovarian cysts
Irregular menstrual cycles
Increased upper body fat distribution
Early menstruation (11 years or younger)
Infertility
Infertility treatment with gonadotropin medications
Hypothyroidism
Tamoxifen (Soltamox) therapy for breast cancer
Cigarette smoking also increases the risk of functional ovarian cysts.
Oral contraceptive/birth control pill use decreases the risk of developing ovarian cysts because they prevent the ovaries from producing eggs during ovulation.

Lavenderhoney Fri 28-Sep-12 13:35:15

I don't have any of those risks... And she is supposed to be one of the best here re her advice. Think I have the follicular type. Tablets are duphaston. I have to take them for a week then go back.

AttilaTheMeerkat Fri 28-Sep-12 14:26:30

Are you in the UK?

Lavenderhoney Fri 28-Sep-12 17:36:58

Nope

orangeflutie Fri 28-Sep-12 18:26:54

Your gynae's remarks to you do sound unusual. This certainly hasn't been my experience.

I have just had surgery to remove my third cyst in two and a half years. I had it removed by keyhole surgery together with my left ovary (as the cysts keep appearing on that side), plus I had some endometriosis ablated.

I didn't have any of the above risk factors for developing cysts. They just seem to appear as part of endometriosis, also mentioned above.

I agree with Attila in that I would definitely seek a second opinion regarding your cyst. Some go of their own accord but others don't and will need further watching or surgery.

Are you in any pain?

Lavenderhoney Fri 28-Sep-12 18:59:31

No,no pain. Only found out as started bleeding and only finished my period a week ago, which was 2 weeks late - I did think I was prgt at first. Bizarrely she mentioned I might need a d and c before she scanned me. She told me the results of the blood test were not pregnant - but she didnt mention the scan done the week before - a pelvic one -she did the scans this week herself.

AttilaTheMeerkat Fri 28-Sep-12 19:09:12

Did not think you were in the UK as Duphaston has not been used here for a number of years.

I would seek a second opinion as the gynae you are seeing would leave me feeling very uneasy.

Lavenderhoney Sat 29-Sep-12 04:39:48

Why do you feel uneasy? I really don't ave a choice here, as I want a man and pref European. She has a great reputation as well, mostly. I was just glad the exam was over and I don't know if I can get another on my nsurance and my dh won't pay for another.

Do you think I have something else?

Lavenderhoney Sat 29-Sep-12 04:40:19

A woman, not a man!!!!

jessiegee Sat 29-Sep-12 15:53:09

I've got one OP. It was found when I had an ultrasound done to check for gallstones!!! When the radiographer pressed area of left ovary it really hurt and she said I had a cyst. Think it's a Haemorragic one. I had dull pain around left ovary. It was very sore (like stabbing pains) around the time I was ovulating last month. She said they would re-scan in 5/7 weeks time to see if it was increasing/reducing in size. No mention of medication has been made by my GP. Have not heard about sex hormone thing either.

Lavenderhoney Tue 02-Oct-12 06:11:45

I don't have any pain and the tablets I am aking which are supposed to make me ovulate aren't working. Another appointment next week, so I guess she will want to do something else no idea what

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now