Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Thrush that won't go away after treatment.

(8 Posts)
neolara Thu 27-Sep-12 18:01:28

I've now taken two doses of oral canestan, 7 days apart. After taking each pill there were a couple of days when the thrush seemed to get better, but then returned to pre-pill levels of soreness - which is very uncomfortable indeed. Is there anything else I can try? Or is this a GP job? And what would the GP be able to do? Any ideas gratefully received.

BlameItOnTheBogey Thu 27-Sep-12 20:18:48

I had this recently and was told to run a shallow bath as hot as I could bear with lots and lots of salt in in and then sit for three minutes. Repeat daily for a few days. It worked (when nothing else had). Not sure whether this would be considered good advice in the UK (I live in Africa) but I was desperate and it did the job.

lifeshocker Thu 27-Sep-12 21:14:48

herbal tablets called nelsons candida available at health shops ,amazon. Feel like I work for these with all recommendations!! They are brilliant the only thing that works for me

Coconutter Thu 27-Sep-12 21:49:10

GP can prescribe stronger Fluconazole. I had it on and off for a year - so bad I could hardly walk at one point! This got rid of it finally. Definitely go and see the GP, or at least the practice nurse.

cocolepew Thu 27-Sep-12 21:51:40

You might need to modify your diet. If you eat a lot of sugar - don't grin

Runningblue Thu 27-Sep-12 21:57:47

Have you been swabbed ? You can have similar symptoms with other infections, or if the thrush has bedded in, it can cause such soreness you have a secondary infection. I'd gp it if you've done that much self treatment..
It's bloody horrible, and like lifeshocker had it for a very long bout of about 2 years.
In terms of self help, drink loads of lemon barley water, it seems to neutralise your wee making it less irritating to the thrushy area.
Air your bits as much as you can...
Eat and apply live yoghurt...
Take lactobacillus supplements..

pinklady2 Wed 18-Jan-17 15:04:44

Try proskin candida. Worked for me and one of my friends. Even doc seemed impressed.

hairymuffet Thu 19-Jan-17 22:18:12

Are you sure it's thrush? ?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now