Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

GP refusing to refer to specialist

(10 Posts)
freddiefrog Thu 27-Sep-12 11:43:55

DH has a degenerative back condition.

He's had 6 episodes of treatment, first one about 6 years ago, last time was just over 2 years ago.

His employers run a health insurance scheme and his previous treatment has been through that.

6 weeks ago he slipped on the loft ladder steps, and since then has been in severe pain. Exactly the same place and pain as per his previous episodes.

Contacted AXA to claim for the treatment. As its been a while since the last claim they need a referral.

DH goes to GP who wants to try other stuff first. He was then put on all the medication that he's tried several times in the past, which we know doesn't work.

DH has been back to GP today after completing the latest round of medication with no change to back pain and GP is still refusing to refer as its "too soon"

We've been here before, DH knows his body and we know what treatment is required we just need GP to refer him. He won't and AXA won't proceed with out it

We only have 1 GP in our surgery so can't see anyone else

So any ideas what we can do? ACAsay just keep jumping through GP's hoops but DH is suffering needlessly


quoteunquote Thu 27-Sep-12 12:14:07

change GP, find one that will help, even if you have to travel.

freddiefrog Thu 27-Sep-12 12:46:53

Is it possible for just DH to change?

We live quite rurally with no public transport so don't really want to have to drag the kids for miles when they're ill

EldonAve Thu 27-Sep-12 13:09:31

yes, just he can change - registration is individual

smee Thu 27-Sep-12 14:13:18

Pay to see a physio. It costs about £50 for a consult. Mine checked me over, then refused to treat me as I clearly had a badly slipped disc. He then wrote a report saying that and that I urgently needed an MRI/ referral to see exactly what the problem was. Got me an instant referral which was marked urgent too.

QueenofWhatever Thu 27-Sep-12 18:22:51

If his flare up has happened since the fall, he should really have an MRI or some thing, even just an x-ray. You could just turn up a A&E and explain. In the longer term, definitely change GP though.

freddiefrog Thu 27-Sep-12 18:44:37


I'll get him to have a ring round other surgeries.

Yes, he probably needs another MRI, the last one he had was 2 years ago. His discs are crumbling and he thinks the slide down the loft ladder has aggravated it.

We know the specialist, DH has spoken to him and can see him Monday if the GP just signs the bloody form

We're lucky enough to have the cover so it's a PITA that we can't use it


sleeze Thu 27-Sep-12 18:51:33

Did your DH make it clear it was a private referral? In our area it is fiendishly difficult to refer into the NHS spinal services, GPs really do have to show that they have tried everything else first.

freddiefrog Thu 27-Sep-12 19:03:55

Yes, he definately told GP it was a private referral.

There's an AXA claim form to sign (which they charge us for)

sleeze Thu 27-Sep-12 20:12:00

In that case, he should move to a different GP smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: