Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Ruptured ovarian cyst?

(7 Posts)
spoonsspoonsspoons Thu 27-Sep-12 08:02:36

Ended up in A&E at the beginning of the week being given morphine. Eventual diagnosis was a ruptured ovarian cyst (no scans done), blood tests normal apart from something that indicates inflammation. I was sent home with cocodamol and advised to visit the GP if pain persisted.

Three days later and it's still painful even with the cocodamol. Anyone got any experience of how long it's likely to last?

AttilaTheMeerkat Thu 27-Sep-12 08:54:36

A & E should have put you onto a gynae ward rather than eventually send you home. Gynae problems are not their specialty.

You need a referral to a gynae via your GP; something has caused this to arise and you need a proper diagnosis.

MummysHappyPills Thu 27-Sep-12 09:03:57

Agree with atilla. From her posts I gather she is a fellow endo sufferer. There are lots of things that can cause ovarian cysts and whilst many just happen and aren't a sign of any ilness, some may be caused by endometriosis etc and seeing as they can't even be sure that's what it is without a scan, how can they know why? I am assuming they took full history from you? They may have decided that is the most likely explanation, but why they coukdn't just do a quick ultrasound is beyond me. If you are still getting pain, I would go back to the gp and ask for a referral to gynae, or at very least a transvaginal us scan. They can be done quickly and cheaply at local community hospitals in my area so I can't see why that would be a problem.

A&e keep pushing things back on to the GPs it seems. Think it is because of funding and they get more money if gp refers. Just because they sent you home diesn't mean that is the end of it and it doesn't require further investigation, especially if you are still getting pain. Just means you were no longer a medical emergency at that time and didn't need to be admitted to hospital. Good luck and let us know how you get on. smile

spoonsspoonsspoons Thu 27-Sep-12 09:35:05

I've been to the GP this morning and they also advised a 'let's wait and see approach' :-(

Pandsbear Thu 27-Sep-12 12:15:55

Hi really sorry to hear this. Ruptured ovarian cysts are incredibly painful ( I had two 18 months ago and also ended up in A&E after the second one). It took about a week after the first one for me to feel better across my abdomen - I felt like I had been kicked by a horse and could not walk upright properly despite painkillers - and the GP also fobbed me off (sympathetically to be fair) and it was 'wait and see'.

Meanwhile while I waited to see, I had a second one rupture exactly a month later and I ended up in A&E as I collapsed on the floor. At which point I was admitted to the gynae ward and things progressed from there with scans/referrals etc etc.

I agree with the other posters, if you are still in pain go back to the drs. It might just be your body recovering or it may be something else.

FWIW I was diagnosed with endometriosis in the end for which I have since had a lot of treatment. (I have not had any more ruptured cysts thankfully.)

FushiaFernica Thu 27-Sep-12 12:20:45

A work colleague had this, she had to be wheeled out of work in an ambulance. She looked in so much pain, however she did recover very quickly though. I think you should go t your gp if the pain hasn't subsided yet.

spoonsspoonsspoons Thu 27-Sep-12 12:40:49

i've been to the gp this morning. Day 5 of pain now (hospital trip day 3). GP just advised to wait and come back if doesn't resolve. It's not as bad as before now, but still v. painful.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now