Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Stomach problems for years. I can manage them, but am I stuck with them forever?

(12 Posts)
IHeartKingThistle Thu 27-Sep-12 00:19:13

It's not the worst thing in the world. IBS, gastritis, gallstone, some intolerances. I have a raft of methods to manage them. But I'm feeling a bit down about the long-term aspect of it - am I stuck with this forever? Will I never again be able to go out for dinner or to someone's house or round the supermarket without thinking about what I can't eat?

I took eating normally for granted until I couldn't.

Anyone found a magical remedy that gave them a cast-iron digestive system back?

IHeartKingThistle Thu 27-Sep-12 09:24:10

Bump for the post-school run crowd?

Rockchick1984 Thu 27-Sep-12 09:25:22

My mum suffered horribly with IBS when I was younger, which was found to be caused by food intolerances. She gave up eating the offending foods (can't remember what, I know she couldn't have bread though) for about 5 years. No little treats, no eating it when going out for meals etc.

After about 5 years she gradually reintroduced everything back into her diet - the only thing she struggles with now is alcohol but she can manage a glass of wine on special occasions just not regularly.

GolfOscarLimaDelta Thu 27-Sep-12 09:28:24

Have you had a scan for the gallstones? They can be sorted because they will just get worse with more frequent attacks in the long run.

I just had my gallbladder out yesterday. Much rather do this then suffer more attacks.

IHeartKingThistle Thu 27-Sep-12 09:33:16

There's only one relatively small one, it's got a bit bigger in the last 2 years though. Never had a full on attack though it 'niggles' quite often. Is the only treatment gallbladder removal?

Hope you're recovering well!

IHeartKingThistle Thu 27-Sep-12 09:39:28

Thanks rockchick, when all this started I went down to a really restricted diet. I've reintroduced most things now but I think something's still setting me off. Glad your mum got some normality back!

Imnotaslimjim Thu 27-Sep-12 09:41:45

I did the same as rockchicks mum - I was gluten and dairy intolerant. I took them out of my diet completely for 6 months, which gave my gut chance to heal. I can now have dairy again no problem, and I can eat pasta etc but have to limit my bread

What "various intolerances" do you have?

IHeartKingThistle Thu 27-Sep-12 09:49:28

It's mainly dairy, although I don't think it's a true intolerance. Butter seems to be fine, things cooked with a bit of milk are OK, goats and sheeps cheese are OK but full-on cows cheese, milky things, cream etc are out. Caffeine is a bit of a problem so tend to avoid that. Can't really process white bread. Struggle with very acidic things like raw apples, struggle with peppers.

Sorry, that was the most boring post ever!

MoreBeta Thu 27-Sep-12 09:55:10

I suffered in the same way for many years. Felt dreadful most of the time except when I starved myself and totally cleared my system. Eventually had my gall bladder out. Still felt dreadful afterwards. Lots of acid, nausea, wind, IBS type symptoms. There are many many people out there who suffer from the symptoms you suffer.

I then stopped eating all gluten containing foods, stopped eating meals in the evening and started drinking lactofree milk. Most of my symptoms disappeared but my diet was pretty restricted and felt quite down about it. In fact felt exactly the same way as you say in your post.

I decided to take a positive attitude and instead of just coping I decided to learn to cook properly from scratch. I went on a professional cookery course and now cook and bake nearly every day so I know what I am eating and can enjoy food again that does not make me feel ill.

IHeartKingThistle Thu 27-Sep-12 22:21:23

That's a really helpful post, MoreBeta, thank you.

l4k Fri 28-Sep-12 07:26:58

Iheart,your story is so similar to mine it's crazy. need to get kids ready but I'll be back to compare notes properly.
I have all on your list and the only one I've actually got rid of is the gastritis, with lansoprazole from the GP.
talk later.

l4k Mon 01-Oct-12 12:03:37

sorry I didn't come back sooner,I have not been well all weekend.
My intolerances started after following a replacement low-carb diet for over 4 months.I was instructed when to add different foods back in to my diet but when it came to wheat I was suffering with extreame flatulance and bloating.
I tried and tried again, then I gave up. So I haven't been eating any gluten on perpose for over 18 months.
I can't be tested for coeliac because I haven't eaten gluten for so long.I would really recommend you ask your GP to test you.
I have one gallstone also.I am ignoring it and it hasn't played up since January!!
hope that helps a little.
sorry about the spelling,brain not playing today.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now