Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Can depression affect periods? Help me, I'm going out of my mind!

(10 Posts)
wibblywobblytimeywimey Wed 26-Sep-12 22:30:10

Hi

Have been feeling really horrible the last few weeks and I was wondering if any of you could possibly help me.

Five weeks ago I had what seemed like a normal period...it lasted 7 days, so far so normal.

Then a week after it stopped it started again; lasting three days not quite as full on but still enough to be a bit annoying.

Now the fourth week has come and gone and nothing. None of the usually achey boobs, migraines I usually have either.

I've also noticed that I've been feeling increasingly depressed the last few weeks and this is getting worse. I've lost interest in my usual activities and struggle to get through the day without crying. Along with this, everything seems to be slightly out of sync like (sorry) bowel stuff and sleeping patterns.

I took a pregnancy test which was negative - so I'm wondering if any of you have been through this and had any ideas as to what it could mean. It has not been a pleasant few weeks and I just want to feel like myself again.

Could all these things be connected or am I having a really bad episode of depression that that has caused the physical symptoms?

gordyslovesheep Wed 26-Sep-12 22:37:11

please talk to somebody medically qualified - with the best will in the world I wouldn;t ask people over the internet for a diagnosis x

MrsShrek3 Wed 26-Sep-12 22:41:10

Don't know about anyone else or what the research says but for me hormones and depression are hugely linked. It's taken me 25years to suss out how it works for me too, including pnd and all sorts. The thing is, that it can be a two way process, which is a pita - it takes ages to work out which direction a particular episode came from, whether the hormones have sen my mood downhill or whether depression has effed my system up. I don't know if that makes any sense to you...or whether some of us are just predisposed to this stuffconfused

MrsShrek3 Wed 26-Sep-12 22:42:44

Agree with gordy, defo ge a medical opinion, the basics likes blood test and hormone level checks may well shed some light smile

wibblywobblytimeywimey Wed 26-Sep-12 22:43:15

Totally makes sense MrsShrek3. It's a chicken/egg situation. Yep, not hoping for an internet diagnosis or anything but just wondered if any of you had experienced the same thing really. Thanks so much for your replies, they're much appreciated!

wibblywobblytimeywimey Wed 26-Sep-12 22:43:59

Am seeing GP tomorrow btw smile

HollaAtMeBaby Wed 26-Sep-12 22:49:34

I would get the GP to do another pregnancy test... just in case!

wibblywobblytimeywimey Wed 26-Sep-12 22:56:43

Well I bought two just in case. Only tested on Thursday and it was negative. REALLY don't want to be pregnant! Will retest just to be sure. Does anyone know what causes a woman to have a period two weeks early? No other physical symptoms you would usually expect in pregnancy. No sickness, food aversions, exhaustion, tender boobs etc.

MrsShrek3 Wed 26-Sep-12 23:01:26

All manner of possibilities if your hormones have gone off on one... Could be all sorts of stuff. You're very wise to have booked the GP appointment but I'd be just the same as you wanting to know if anyone's had the same sort of thing. Its such a difficult thing, and your head doesn't work well enough to let you work it out properly. You've got my sympathy. Hope you get some tests done tomorrow, if not answers... And good luck!!

wibblywobblytimeywimey Wed 26-Sep-12 23:02:07

Thank you very much smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now