Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Has anyone had a pulmonary embolism during pregnancy?

(1 Post)
DigestivesWithPhiladelphia Wed 26-Sep-12 19:32:17

Hi.

I am 22 weeks pregnant with twins and, after a v/q scan today, was told I have PE's in both lungs.

It has been a long week, trekking back & forth to the hospital with my 18 month in tow, and I was a bit shocked by the positive result as every Dr I've seen said they thought a PE was very unlikely. My only symptom has been shortness of breath (which has been going on for over a month) and a slightly raised heartrate. I also have no risk factors apart from being pregnant.

The A & E Dr. who gave me the results said that the clots are in "the best possible place" as they are at the end of something (she was talking about branches on a tree, but I was a bit shocked at the time & can't remember the full description!) in my lungs and won't move. She said there are no clots in the main passage between my heart & lungs. She was unable to answer a lot of my questions and said the nurse in the DVT clinic would answer them.

So, off I went to the DVT clinic. The nurse there was lovely but he was unable to answer my questions & said they will be answered by my OB & a heamotologist (don't know if I've spelt that correctly, sorry) who I will see in clinic within 2 or 3 weeks.

I've left the hospital with my fragmin (I've already been taking this for a few days while waiting for tests) and I fully understand how to administer it and how it works.

However, I don't understand how much 'at risk' I am now i've started treatment. The nurse said it reduces the risk a lot but couldn't give me any figures relating to this.

He told me to ring 999 if I suffer pain or have more severe shortness of breath. I'm reasoning that I'm probably quite safe as I've been allowed to leave the hospital and won't be seen again for a few weeks. But still, I am tired and a bit emotional and I can't help panicking about dying during this pregnancy/what wil happen if I need an emergency section & I start to bleed/the risk of dying after the babies are born...

I also don't understand how I will be monitored to assess whether any new clots have formed. Will I be scanned again? Will they just 'wait & see'?

I know I'm probably over-reacting a little tonight but I can't help feeling a bit sorry for myself tonight sad and feel a bit annoyed that I was sent gone without the opportunity to get some answers to my questions. I have unfortunately turned to google & have now convinced myself that I have a 3-8% of dying from a clot, even though I have started treatment. Hopefully I've calculated this wrongly!

Any information from someone who has been in this situation, or who knows more about it, would be helpful please.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now