Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

surgical removal of kidney stones

(13 Posts)
DelGirl Wed 26-Sep-12 10:47:41

anyone had it done, how was it and how long was recovery? thanks

imnotmymum Wed 26-Sep-12 10:49:12

My mum had it done and recovery was maybe a week or so and she was in hospital overnight. Seemed to go OK and not too painful but she had keyhole.

DelGirl Wed 26-Sep-12 11:02:16

Thanks, that is what I am hoping for if I have to have it. I'm hoping I don't though but will find out next week. Hopefully one way or another i'll be over it quickly as i'm moving house in less than 6 weeks.

DelGirl Wed 26-Sep-12 20:13:39

anyone else had any dealings with this?

JumpingJellyfish Thu 27-Sep-12 11:27:01

I had surgery to remove a kidney stone nearly a month ago, however at the time my stone had wedged itself in my uterer near the bladder so technically not in my kidney! The surgeon managed to do this via a uteroscope (so no external incision) and lasered it to break the stone into pieces. They then caught & removed the largest fragment while still up there, and the small fragments passed later through the urine. This was done under general anaesthetic and as the op was in the morning I was home later that same evening smile Pain was minimal - just needed paracetamol for the next day or so. And had to drink a lot of water/fluids - well, still do, to hopefully avoid forming any more stones. Previous to this op I'd had one to put in an emergency kidney stent which was also done via a uteroscope - quite amazing really! I met a few other ladies on the ward who'd had their kidney stones removed and most either had this done as day surgery or had to spend one night post-op on the ward - mainly just for monitoring from the effects of the general anaesthetic. Some had kidney stents put in as well which IME cause more discomfort than the postoperative pain of the kidney stone removal! Some needed a catheter for a few hours/one day but most didn't (I didn't need to following the stone removal - but had to pass urine before they would let me home).

Good luck!

JumpingJellyfish Thu 27-Sep-12 11:28:10

By the way I had my op on the Friday, was still a bit out of sorts on the saturday (mainly due to the last effects of the general anaesthetic) and was back doing school runs and work on the Monday (for my sins!) smile

DelGirl Thu 27-Sep-12 11:41:45

thank you so much that is just what I wanted to hear. I have one in my kidney (or had last sat/sun) and from the minimal pain I have now (thank goodness for pain relief) I think it is on it's way down. I also had one in the uterer which was stopping me from peeing almost altogether which is why I was ambulanced to the nearest a & e (an hour away) the worst journey ever. I am in Italy btw.

I am sure that one is gone now and I am on 6 different meds, one of which relaxes the tubes so that the stone can pass easier. I'm having another xray on Sat and then an ultrasound on Tuesday. Hopefully it will be working its way out nicely. If it hasn't they have suggested the surgery. so if it is as you describe, meaning if that is what they offer here then hopefully it won't be too horrific and should also mean I only need minimal help with dd for a couple of days.

Have had a terrible fever this time round, now on anti b's as well! Had this before 20 years ago and also whilst pg with my dd but this is the worst. Nothing like it, is there??!!!!

Thanks again

JumpingJellyfish Thu 27-Sep-12 11:56:17

Ooh DelGirl your story is quite similar to mine! And I agree, the pain is just unreal sad Do keep an eye on your temp though- this was my first experience of kidney stones and so I didn't recognise the pain, and foolishly didn't go straight to the doctor. Left it a couple of days by which time I was very unwell, v. high temp., tachycardic (fast resting pulse) and basically needed the emergency op as the stone had blocked my ureter (no peeing- like you), and infection had built up in the kidney behind it & spilled into my blood causing sepsis. I was very poorly for a few days even while on antibiotics until the blood cultures came back and the bacteria I had weren't being hit hard enough my the antibiotics so they switched meds, which thankfully did the trick. So if you get any flu-like symptoms go straight back - I've read with kidney infections often IV antibiotics are required. Anyway the stent thankfully allowed the kidney to work again and then they went after the stone a few weeks later once the infection was all cleared up. Like you I was on the "tube widening" meds but sadly didn't work and the little bugger remained wedged hence the op. The stone was quite little too - just got into a really awkward place!! Interestingly they didn't pick it up at A&E on the x-ray they did, but once on the ward (was admitted due to the sepsis) they got me a CT scan which showed the stone clearly and explained the infection etc etc.

I really hope your stone moves by itself and you get better soon! But if you need the op rest assured it's a pretty minor thing - basically I needed help with the kids definitely for 24 hours after the op., but even 48 hours later I felt pretty much ok and able to run after them again! smile

DelGirl Thu 27-Sep-12 12:08:37

OMG that's awful, poor you. Well would you believe my urine hasn't been tested, possibly as I wasn't able to but bloods showed raised this that and t'other.

I felt flu like, aka at deaths door on Monday and Tuesday but have started to pick up from yesterday thank goodness. Temp still up to almost 39 yesterday but ok'ish today thus far. On monday it was like I was stoned to the eyeballs and could barely move which is when I realised my temp was 40!

My nice friend and neighbour who happens to be married to a doctor (but is working in Libya) rang him and he has given me all the emergancy advice and she was able to sort some stuff for me. Not sure what I would have done without her at 3am as she took my dd in. Sorry am rambling now.

Anyway, I would think that the anti b's are now working and I am feeling heaps better though not 100% obv. Don't like to think of the pain I would be in if I wasn't on all this meds though.

JumpingJellyfish Thu 27-Sep-12 14:41:54

I'm very glad you got such good advice from your neighbour's husband and got seen! Sounds like they caught your infection only just before it could have become my story! Glad your temp is staying stable now- long may it remain that way - and I hope your stone passes without needing an op but no matter what hope you're on the mend soon!

DelGirl Tue 02-Oct-12 15:18:19

well, one has gone..yay. Saw doctor today and they have told me to take some meds for 3 months then to go back again for another, getting there phew!

QOD Tue 02-Oct-12 15:31:37

Well done!

I've had them 3times. First was microscopic and passed

next was 15mm and had stent they cystoscopic removal and catheters (two! One from kidney one from bladder)

Next was 8mm and same as above. Both touched with laser wire too


I've got flakes of calcium now

JumpingJellyfish Thu 04-Oct-12 11:31:51

DelGirl glad you've passed one! smile And good that they think you can pass the other(s) with meds rather than surgery- hope this happens and it's not too excrutiating (I'm assuming you've been armed with some heavy duty painkillers?). Best of luck!

QOD have they advised you to follow any sort of diet to reduce the risk of forming stones? I've got my first outpatients appt next week so I'm hoping they'll be able to tell me which type of stone mine was and whether there is anything preventative I can do at all to reduce the risk of forming more...
Your story makes me shudder - have much empathy!!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: