Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Am I unwell or just pathetic?

(11 Posts)
mmmerangue Tue 25-Sep-12 15:40:54

Got called into work today about absenteeism because I have had 3 bugs in the last 6-8 weeks which have left me off work for a day or two - I only work part time, in a restaurant, so losing a shift on a friday night can cut my wage in half, but I can't go in if I have V&D or similar, or even a moderately bad cough; even if I feel mostly fine as I work with food - it's getting v. frustrating and I don't know if it's a sign of something bigger or my body is just trying to say slow down a bit (haha, body, cos that can't happen!)

Have made an appointment with the GP but I'm not really sure what I tell him - 'I feel crap all the time... a bit of everything depends what day of the week it is!' Will defo be asking for a flu jab though.

In the last few months I have had:

3 or 4 colds lasting 3 days to a week
2 bouts of V&D 2 days each, which have no explanation as my partner/child/other people at work have been fine
and least 2-3 days of anxiety which I am managing but it is hard when you're ill and trying to keep house and work and look after a wee one at the same time! Basically I get worried about being ill, and that makes me iller. Woohoo!
generally tired, emotional, cold (I am always really freaking cold!), short-tempered, achey, watery, wimpy and pathetic on a regular if not daily basis.

I also went on holiday the week before last, just a weekend away to catch up with a friend. We had a glass of red wine in the hotel room the first night, it made me sick. The next day felt fine, had a few vodka & cokes in several places then went to dinner. Got a glass of red wine, before I had even got my starter I felt sick again and was back in my hotel bed at 8.45 having eaten two bites of my (gorgeous) meal. So friend suggested I may be allergic to tannins or something in red wine (intend to ask the doctor about this). Absolutely not pregnant, unless with the next messiah.

I don't know if this is just me, getting bad luck of the draw; or if there could be something more? I have actually not felt myself since before pregnancy (over 2 years ago, my DS is 19 months now) had hyperemesis while pregnant and was horribly ill the last two winters, last winter wasn't working so had no-one to inconvenience but my partner. Now I really don't want this to mean the end of a job, I love where I work and I love working, having another avenue for my brain, etc.

EdMcDunnough Tue 25-Sep-12 15:47:56

Sounds like your immune system is down. Are you eating properly, sleeping enough? Could you try a multi vitamin or tonic or something?

Telesales650 Tue 25-Sep-12 16:09:35

I myself have had immunity problems with having numourous infections one after the over, try getting more sleep a good diet of immunity boostingvegetables such as cauliflower, carrots, kale, spinach,brocolli, Red /Pink grapefruits ,Watermelon, yoghourt and Wheatgerm. I also are taking Boots vitamin C 1000mgs for two months, hopefully this will help to give your body a gentle boost.

mmmerangue Tue 25-Sep-12 17:45:10

Thanks.

I'm sure I could be a better eater/sleeper if I tried, just getting into bad habits. Hope it is nothing more than that x

greenandcabbagelooking Tue 25-Sep-12 17:48:01

Are you anemic? Ask GP about that, maybe.

mmmerangue Tue 25-Sep-12 17:53:16

green That was one on my list.

If I have a low immune system does that mean something bigger at play or can you have that just in itself? I thought it was a symptom rather than an illness/condition in itself :/

mercibucket Tue 25-Sep-12 18:03:37

I would also ask for a thyroid test, esp if you feel cold all the time. Get it alongside a full blood count, ferritin and b12

RockinD Tue 25-Sep-12 22:09:04

Beat me to it merci

She's right OP

D

mercibucket Tue 25-Sep-12 23:02:12

(Waves to RockinD)

mercibucket Tue 25-Sep-12 23:02:13

(Waves to RockinD)

PorkyandBess Tue 25-Sep-12 23:07:50

You do sound unusually sickly and 3 absences in 6-8 weeks is a lot. This would invoke disciplinary proceedings where I work.

I would speak to my gp and request some tests.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now