Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Might sound a bit bonkers, but any reasons for the persistant 'minty' taste in my mouth?

(7 Posts)
notnowbernard Mon 24-Sep-12 21:56:28

It feels like I have a minty, almost tingly taste in my mouth all the time (for about a week now)

Can feel it on my lips sometimes as well

I am at a loss, and Google no help... can't come up with anything!

(NOT pg, btw)

notnowbernard Tue 25-Sep-12 13:36:04

InkleWinkle Tue 25-Sep-12 13:52:21

I'm sorry, pregnant would be my only suggestion!

Hope some one more helpful comes along soon!

notnowbernard Tue 25-Sep-12 13:55:01

Thanks for replying though smile

Have booked a dental appt to see if that reveals anything

It's just such a weird feeling

mumof4sons Tue 25-Sep-12 21:02:26

I know exactly what you are talking about. I have the following symptoms:

1. burning mouth (it is as if you have just brushed your teeth with really minty toothpaste that burns.) all the time. It is like I've scalded my mouth on a hot drink.
2. the inside of my lips burn too, and feels really strong when I am tired.
3. I can barely taste anything anymore.
4. Water cools it, but only for the time it is in my mouth.

I went to the doctor yesterday about it as it has been going on for 6+ weeks, I thought at first it was because I started using a different toothpaste, but when I stopped that toothpaste it persisted.

My doctor is now sending me for blood tests.

Let me know if the dentist can come up with anything. I have tried to make an appointment with mine, but seems to be constantly engaged.

echt Wed 26-Sep-12 06:32:03

Just google "constant minty taste in mouth". There's a whole world of stuff out there.

notnowbernard Thu 27-Sep-12 13:46:19

echt - believe me, I am GoogleQueen when it comes to this lark and I have come up with nada: either pregnancy (def not) or GORD (refux type stuff - am convinced it's not this)

mumof4sons - weird, isn't it?! Went to the dentist, he x-rayed my back teeth (all fine), nothing wrong with either of my fillings, said it might be gum-related and to see the hygieneist but could see no problems

Interestingly, the taste has gone today. I do have a cold just come out, I wonder if it was a sinus thing?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now