Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Quinsy? Second opinion?

(6 Posts)
MsCellophane Mon 24-Sep-12 14:17:46

I started a sore throat 10 days ago, it eased during last week but started really hurting on Saturday

Sunday and today the pain is getting worse, I can swallow but am avoiding swallowing too much

I went to the Drs this morning, he had a quick look and prescribed penicillian. I asked if he thought it could be quinsy and he laughed. This Dr never seems that bothered with illness - he spends the whole time talking about diabetes and high blood pressure (I have both) I always try to avoid seeing him tbh

I have a large, swollen red area above my tonsil. My tonsils are always large and visible but affected side, the tonsil is pushed down behind my tongue due to the swelling which has now pushed the hangy down thingy over to the side

I don't have a high fever, it's around 98 (my usual temp is around 96.6 though)

So, would you give the antib's a decent chance to work or would you go A&E or out of hours docs this evening? Or am I just a wuss

kissingtoads Mon 24-Sep-12 23:21:59

He may have laughed at Quincy. You used to catch it from horses in the olden days (apparently!). It's not a disease we have nowadays.

Vix07 Mon 24-Sep-12 23:27:51

Sorry to say that quinsy is very much on the rise these days since they stopped whipping tonsils out other than in v extreme cases. Your doc doesn't sound like he's on the ball..

IDontDoIroning Mon 24-Sep-12 23:30:37

Quinsy is an abscess of the tonsils. It used to be very common and quite serious as it blocks the airways. I really dont think its a laughing matter. have heard of people getting it nowadays. If your tonsil appears to have moved or you think something is pushing it out if the way you could have an abscess.

kissingtoads Mon 24-Sep-12 23:31:09

Damn I may be thinking of glanders. Quincy is p...(something) abcess isn't it? Hope you give the antibios a chance. With any luck that will sort it out for you.

(sorry for the twaddle)

MummysHappyPills Mon 24-Sep-12 23:31:10

If your uvula (dangly bit) is deviated then it is more than likely a quinsy (peritonsillar abscsess). Go to A&E, most require IV antibiotics, and needle aspiration.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now