Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

migraines

(3 Posts)
everythingpasses Mon 24-Sep-12 14:10:31

I am 30 and until 3 days ago had never experienced a migraine. Im pretty sure that's what I have had though -

- vision going all funny and juddery
- the most intense, throbby headache I've ever had to the point where I have just had to lie/sleep in a darkened room for the past two days
- feeling sick and was sick once

My questions to anyone who has any experience are

1) is it normal to get your first ever migraine at the old age of 30? Does this mean I am likely to get more or could it be a one off (hopefully)?
2) Are there any over the counter meds that help? paracetamol and nurofen didn't even touch it.

Thanks,

GoldenPrimrose123 Mon 24-Sep-12 14:22:12

It sounds vaguely like mine, although I wouldn't say it was a headache as such, more like earache in my eyeball (if that makes sense!). I also can't focus and lose most of my coordination. I've had them all my life though, so I don't know if they just start at your age.

I have never found anything over the counter that has helped at all, but I get naramig on prescription. If I take it as soon as I feel the migraine starting, and go to bed immediately, I think it makes the migraine shorter and less painful.

Hope you find something that works for you. smile

everythingpasses Mon 24-Sep-12 15:58:55

thanks, guess I will have to see if it happens again and if it does consider a trip to the GP for a prescription. I always thought that migraines started when you were much younger.

Glad you have found something that makes yours more bearable, thanks for replying.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now