Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

What can help to boost general immunity for dd and me?

(7 Posts)
Chocolateporridge Sun 23-Sep-12 22:46:11

My dd (nearly 2 yrs) and I have had a horrible two months with literally one virus after another. It's getting me down and its frustrating for us both, obviously. I give her the nhs Healthy Start vitamin drops every day, she eats LOADS of fruit (not much veg though) and I take a multivitamin every day. I'm meticulous about hand washing but we can't stay away from soft play, rhyme time, friends children etc or her little life would be a bit lonely.

A friend gives her dd (same age) malt every day and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions of something we could both take that might help?

Sossiges Sun 23-Sep-12 23:02:19

Echinacea? Extra vitamin C?

CrikeyOHare Mon 24-Sep-12 14:07:57

Hate to break it to you, but the fact that you've both been feeling terrible actually means you have very healthy immune systems that don't need a boost at all.

All the symptoms we get from viruses are not actually caused by the virus itself, but our bodies immune response. People with compromised immune systems don't get the same response & that can prove dangerous.

A healthy immune system will not stop you catching a virus. Hand washing etc might help.

But eating lots of fruit is always good smile

MousyMouse Mon 24-Sep-12 14:12:14

enough sleep
good nutrition
plenty of excercise (preferably outside)

has she just started nursery or playgroup? if yes it's absolutely normal to have one bug after the other for a while.

mercibucket Tue 25-Sep-12 18:17:41

Iron - a lot of toddlers are low esp after illnesses. Spatone in juice is natural. Vit d3 in winter (maybe in the drops already?)

mercibucket Tue 25-Sep-12 18:17:48

Iron - a lot of toddlers are low esp after illnesses. Spatone in juice is natural. Vit d3 in winter (maybe in the drops already?)

Chocolateporridge Wed 26-Sep-12 18:55:23

Thanks for all the tips, I'd never heard that about the immune system before crikey but I'm definitely big on handwashing.

Thanks mousey , no she's not at nursery but we do go to a few little kiddy book clubs and art clubs as well soft play. I'm desperate to get her running around outside but when she's not been ill the weather's been awful here in Sunny Scotland!

Is spatone definitely okay for toddlers merci? I try to get her to eat iron rich veg and I blend it onto meals sometimes but she's not easily fooled!

Maybe this is the last bug we'll have all winter .......

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now