Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Colposcopy?

(6 Posts)
EasilyBored Sun 23-Sep-12 20:56:22

Anyone ever had one?

Results from my last smear are moderately abnormal, so they're booking me in for a colposcopy to look at the cells, possibly treat them there and then, or maybe take a biopsy.

I. Am. Bricking. It.

I used to be fine with smears, as I've had borderline changes a few times so have pretty much had one a year since I was 18 (now 28). But since having DS in December (horrible delivery), I'm terrified. I about had a panic attack when I Went for the smear the other week. It's specifically the speculum that terrifies me, and I find it really uncomfortable. Do you think I can ask my GP for something to calm my nerves before I go? Or is it better to just try and woman up and grit my teeth?

Anyone have any experience of having one? Is it as bad as I'm imagining?

LittleBugsMum Sun 23-Sep-12 21:02:41

It's absolutely fine. I've had 2 and it's just like a smear but they do a bit more prodding around. And there's a camera but you just turn away.

If they're going to take a biopsy, they'll numb it first & I swear you will hardly feel it. They're also really quick too.

You might want to take a painkiller beforehand in case you're extra sensitive 'down there' and to make you feel better that there will be no pain.

Worse things about it are the stirrups and it's a bit cold...

suebfg Sun 23-Sep-12 21:03:47

I had one once and had a biopsy as well. I remember the biopsy feeling uncomfortable as it is 'internal' and I did feel faint afterwards .. although I am prone to feeling faint anyway.

But it pales into insignificance compared to having a membrane sweep.

smee Mon 24-Sep-12 10:07:40

Everyone's different, but at worst it's like bad menstrual/ labour cramping and it's quickly done so maybe think of it like that. If while they're there they take a biopsy it takes seconds. I took a deep breath, counted to 10 and it was over. You can do that, you know you can. smile

EasilyBored Mon 24-Sep-12 12:43:31

Yeah, I think it's no so much what they miht do when they're in there, but the actual speculum bit itself? That's the bit I hate about smears. I guess I'm just going to have to get on with it, but I may have to spend the rest of the day curled up eating hobnobs, rather than 'getting back to my usual routine' as the leaflet so helpfully suggests.

smee Mon 24-Sep-12 12:47:41

Where I went the Dr and Nurse were incredibly lovely. In fact so much so that I sent them a little note afterwards to say thank you. Anticipation's definitely the worst part. Good luck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now