Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Not quite Style & Beauty - but what do I wear to an MRI...

(6 Posts)
OrangeKipper Sun 23-Sep-12 19:09:39

... so as not to freeze?

The instructions say, "You're welcome to bring your own dressing gown or tracksuit, as long as they contain no metal."

I don't have a suitable tracksuit, and the above makes me think they'll want me to strip to a hospital gown, and lie for half an hour in what seems to be a caravan in the car park.

Could any kind person tell me what to expect and a bit more about clothing? Frozen nipples may not be conducive to Not Fidgeting...

wentshopping Sun 23-Sep-12 19:15:01

If you don't have "cozy clothes" - t shirt, sweatshirt, leggings, they would probably want you to wear a gown - but dd was covered with blankets to keep warm. Basically they dont want you to wear jeans (metal zips) and a zippered hoody (metal again), but maybe you could take pyjamas to change into from your outside clothes? And take out earrings too.
Best wishes for the test.

OrangeKipper Sun 23-Sep-12 19:26:13

Oh thank you, I did wonder about pyjamas.

I also have enough woolly jumpers to go as the Michelin woman and a long wool skirt, all without metal. So if they're happy with ordinary clothes (sans bra) that will be fine.

CMOTDibbler Sun 23-Sep-12 19:40:59

leggings and a jumper, plus woolly socks would be great. It does get v cold

OrangeKipper Sun 23-Sep-12 20:19:03

Woolly socks! Thank you!

Awkwardsquad Mon 24-Sep-12 21:32:21

I just wore my normal clothes but chose ones that had no metal (leggings, vest, tunic, socks). I popped my bra off before I went in, in the changing room, and left it in a locker. I wasn't asked to change into a gown.

One tip - remember to take your rings off! I didn't have earrings in or anything, but I forgot my rings. The machine started, I could feel every click and buzz in my finger. Was puzzled until I realised that I had left my rings on! I panicked (thinking I'd blow the damn machine up by having METAL about my person), pressed the buzzer, MRI lady came over, said it was ok and to just leave them on. But then I continued to feel every damn click and buzz in my finger - most uncomfortable.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now