Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Any dentists out there? Baby tooth at 38! now causing me probs

(6 Posts)
ratflavouredjelly Sat 22-Sep-12 23:37:07

Anyone else out there still got any baby teeth as an adult? Or any MNetter dentists saysterrified I have a baby tooth towards the back at the top of my mouth. It's now v painful and the gum is becoming protracted. I hope it's not rotting away eeeeugh.

I'm assuming I need the dratted thing extracted aaaagh. Anyone had this done? Did you survive? I don't even know if there's an adult tooth underneath. If i just leave it maybe it will fall out of its own accord. Could that cause nasty abcesses etc? (the thought of an extraction leaves me pale and sickly)...

How can I have been through childbirth twice and even taken on a syntocin drip without pain relief YET I am a big wuss when it comes to dentists?

LadySybildeChocolate Sat 22-Sep-12 23:39:37

I have a baby tooth. I have x rays every couple of years to make sure the adult tooth isn't moving into the root of the next tooth. Sounds like a problem with your gum rather then the tooth (possibly, I'm not a dentist). Corsodyl mouth wash is very good, you really do need to see a dentist though.

Beckamaw Sat 22-Sep-12 23:42:11

I had one extracted at 35!
I had a bouncy castle accident as a child. 3 teeth ended up in my knee. The buds were damaged and the teeth below never grew.
One remained and my dentist advised that it should probably come out, although there were no issues.
It bloody hurt, the roots were huge! The dentist said it could have stayed in!!
angry
It's unpleasant, but OK.

ratflavouredjelly Tue 25-Sep-12 00:08:52

Beckamaw were you awake under local or sedated when you had the tooth extracted?

Beckamaw Tue 25-Sep-12 11:11:44

Just an injection. Hurt like a bugger but fine now.

gingeroots Tue 25-Sep-12 20:13:04

Oh blimey ,not helpful to hear about painful extraction - especially as I think I'm up for one soon .

I am absolutely sure that pain can be avoided during extractions and dental work .

And if any help ,Cordosyl gel can be applied between teeth using one of those interdental brush things .
But - according to packet - the gel , and mouthwash , shouldn't be used immediately before or after using toothpaste .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now