Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Adhesions post c-section- anything to worry about?

(8 Posts)
olivo Sat 22-Sep-12 20:56:22

When they carried out my 2nd c- section, they said I had adhesions from my first. As far as I can remember, they didn't say where/what. Are they likely to have fixed them while they were in there, and is it likely I will have them again? I sometimes get odd unexplained pains in my lower abdomen.

amillionyears Sat 22-Sep-12 21:19:02

From the little I know,the adhesions would be inside your body of where the first c section was done iyswim.
The way it was described to me is that flotsam and jetsam floats around everyones bodies,and adhesions is when the flotsam and jetsam masses around the wound inside.
Having trouble describing it,I should google for more information.
Also,go back to your GP for them to describe it better than I can.
My guess is that they wont have had them fixed yet [and that is why you are getting odd unexplained pains],and you would need a seperate operation to get rid of them.
The good news is that then the odd pains should go.
The bad news is that you will be,as I am,more at risk of having them again.
I sort of have since,but it doesnt really affect me much.
But any operation you have in future,you may or may not get them at some point,even years later as I did,though in my case,not from my c section.
Like me,if your body is prone to adhesions,your body is prone to them.That is how it was explained to me.
Hope this helps.

olivo Sun 23-Sep-12 07:28:53

Thank you. I did wonder if it was a double edged sword of opening up to sort them out puts you at risk again. Not sure I'm u for that. I do remember they mentioned something about my bladder- could something be stuck to it?

amillionyears Sun 23-Sep-12 08:46:28

Im not sure if I was clear or not.

Say you have an operation at site 1
later on you may have adhesions at site 1
they would then open you up at site 1 and hopefully sort it,so no more pains from the adhesions that had built up there.

But menawhile,if you had had an operation at site 2,again it is possible that at some point in the future that adhesions may have built up at site 2 as well,and an operation at site 2 may be necessary.

With me,there was a 16 year gap between my original operation at site 1,and the operation to get rid of the adhesions,though in my case I had had odd pains for about 3 years before I was properly diagnosed,and sent for the adhesions operation.

If you have had a previous operation to do with your bladder,then yes things could be stuck to it inside Im guessing.

Also to be clearer,I am not a medical professional,just someone who is prone to adhesions for some reason.

AttilaTheMeerkat Sun 23-Sep-12 09:09:31

Adhesions are sticky strands that tether organs together and these can cause pain. These probably have not been removed. Any such abdominal surgery can cause adhesions to arise.

amillionyears Sun 23-Sep-12 09:26:03

Attila,I was told I could also have adhesions in my knee,though I have not had surgery there.Is that possible,or do adhesions just happen in the abdomen,and only after operations, and not just say eg strains.
Off to google I think.

olivo Sun 23-Sep-12 12:37:37

Ah, ok, I had visions of my bladder somehow being stuck to my internal cs scars! Guess I just leave it unless the pains get worse. Thank you.

Catinthebox Sun 23-Sep-12 20:52:49

I had a section over 18 years ago and got funny pains for ages afterwards.

I have had odd pains round ovulation too- sorry if TMI- but pain sort of in my back passage. I pressume it's adhesions sticking things together!

It used to be the case that surgery to sort them out risked causing more to form, but if it's bothering you it's worth mentioning to your GP- I'm sure surgery techniques have come a long way for this sort of thing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now