Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Worms!!!!!!! We've got them!!!!! Arghhhhhhhh!!!!

(29 Posts)
wormymum Wed 24-Dec-03 13:33:37

Message withdrawn

hollybet Wed 24-Dec-03 13:36:06

oh yes, loads of sympathy - we've had them, horrid littel buggers. The stuff fromt eh chemist does work, but I would leave it till she can keep it in her and in the meantime just cut all nails really short and be super scrupulous about washing hands

hmb Wed 24-Dec-03 13:38:28

Yes, it will work, and remember half of all school age children will have them at some point, so you are not alone!

wormymum Wed 24-Dec-03 13:39:10

Message withdrawn

wormymum Sat 27-Dec-03 15:34:38

Message withdrawn

Clarinet60 Sun 28-Dec-03 23:46:58

Yes, we've had them as bad as this. The 3 yr old who brought them home cleared up really fast, but not so the baby and myself. In fact, a year later, I still haven't managed to clear either of us up completely. The medicines work, but the reinfection is where we get caught, despite scrupulous precautions.

Chandra Mon 29-Dec-03 03:12:06

Highly illustrative... I always thought worms were a made-up story of granny to make us wash our hands.... I have sooooooo much to learn....

robinw Mon 29-Dec-03 07:38:12

message withdrawn

wormymum Mon 31-Jan-05 20:46:04

Message withdrawn

jampots Mon 31-Jan-05 20:48:52

yuck yuck yuck - ds had them once and i shuddered at the sight of them. Hated them and the thought still gives me the shivers

wormymum Mon 31-Jan-05 20:53:17

Message withdrawn

ChicPea Mon 31-Jan-05 20:57:19

Oh yuk and how awful for you all. What are the precautions to stop it spreading? Obviously hand washing but do they get them from the ground? I have no idea. Is the child oblivious to it or in absolute fear of these worms? Poor little thing.

foxinsocks Mon 31-Jan-05 20:58:02

wormymum, I would go to the GP. It may be that she needs a stronger medicine or that she needs a longer dose.

Otherwise, I'm sure by now you know all the usual wash the linen stuff.

Does she have a sandpit at school/nursery? If so, I would say something in case there is a problem with worms in there (can they get it from sand? I think they can).

doggiewalker Mon 31-Jan-05 21:25:18

We seem to get worms regularly, particularly ds2 who will start complaining that his bum is itchy etc so I buy the stuff and treat the family but he seems to get them again after a few months.

doggiewalker Mon 31-Jan-05 21:26:09

Should add though that even though I've looked closely at his bottom I have never seen any !?!

lockets Mon 31-Jan-05 21:32:22

Message withdrawn

alux Mon 31-Jan-05 21:39:01

I would take her to the GP as well and get her stool tested for the type of worms. Not all worm medication works on all types of worms. And like bacteria, some worms are more resistant to some medications. Make sure as well that the treatment is followed through its course - and that everyone in the family is treated. Yes, everyone, even pets (mammals here).

I lived most of my life in the tropics and kids are regularly dosed off in my old community - as well as pets. Having an upset tummy shouldn't delay the start of the treatment. An upset tummy is a symptom of the presence of worms.

miggy Mon 31-Jan-05 21:50:39

Anyone else think worming tablets are stupidly expensive, esp as family of 5 when you have to buy 2 packs. Same tablets for dogs cost about 10p so someone is making a huge profit!

Eve Mon 31-Jan-05 22:00:44

See other thread on worms I poseted on...my DS got thes ein summer and we had 3/4 infections before I got rid of them.

I found Grapefruit seed extract worked on DS..got it in local health food shop.
They are horrid, DS was in tears with the itch.

mears Mon 31-Jan-05 22:08:41

My DD had worms numerous times. Unfortunately she is a thumbsucker so I am sure that was why she was reinfecting herself. She wears pants at night, even under her jammies. I suggested worming her regularly like a puppy but GP didn't agree with that. She regularly had worms from the age of 1 year to about age 8 years I kid you not. I have to admit in the end I stopped treating us all because we kept everything separate from hers and she always knew when they had returned. At the first symptom she was dosed. I found Vermox acted the fasted. Pripsen made me very ill. As for cost, you can get a prescription from the GP. The leaflet in the medication box is really informative. It tells you how it works.

alux Mon 31-Jan-05 22:09:15

Different worms have different methods of transmission. Yes, if the eggs are in the sand / grass / mud for some types like thread and round worms. Some like tapeworms (thankfully rare these days) by the segments in undercooked pork. Some bury through the skin on the sole of the feet like hookworms. And of course infection hand to mouth - again of eggs in stool.

alux Mon 31-Jan-05 22:12:31

I second the motion (eeewww, didn't mean the pun) on Vermox. I did not know if it was available in this country. I remember it being expensive but worth it.

mears Mon 31-Jan-05 22:14:19

vermox

Levanna Tue 01-Feb-05 00:22:56

Found this info on the nhs site. There also a good is a page on treatments here which says that a bout can last for 6 weeks, amongst other things.
HTH

wormymum Tue 01-Feb-05 15:38:12

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now