Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

So my dad has polyps.

(4 Posts)
HenriettaChicken Fri 21-Sep-12 11:52:55

My dad, who is in his early 60s, had a colonoscopy today. He's had 2 polyps removed.

Can anyone explain for me what that means? Is it a good thing or a bad thing?

I have no idea...

chocoluvva Fri 21-Sep-12 14:08:31

It's an excellent thing. Polyps tend to be very slow growing, but they can sometimes become cancerous.
Ocassionally people have multiple polyps (usually when they're younger than your dad) which is much more worrying.
The hospital will do a biopsy of your dad's polyps. Even if they're found to be cancerous I don't think he would need any other treatment as they were removed at such an early stage.
He'll be called for another colonoscopy in 6months or a year.
Hope he wasn't too uncomfortable smile

HenriettaChicken Fri 21-Sep-12 15:50:52

Thank you so much, Chocoluvva.

I'm not particularly knowledgeable when it comes to medical conditions, and Dad's dad died of cancer at a similar age, so it's reassuring to know that even if there is something cancerous there, it's unlikely to be particularly serious.

He seems fine in himself, and has been very brave (he hates hospitals; I've never known him visit the GP).

I know he's been worried, so excellent news is just what we want.

Thank you.

chocoluvva Fri 21-Sep-12 18:52:45

I'm not a medic, Henrietta, but I (unfortunately) have extensive personal experience of colorectal polyps and bowel cancer.
You sound like a lovely daughter and I know that men of your dad's generation tend to be reluctant to go to their GP. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now