Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Seroma

(4 Posts)
copycat Thu 20-Sep-12 11:57:56

I had surgery to repair a femoral hernia two weeks ago and have developed a large seroma in my groin. It is very unsightly sad

After a visit to A&E last weekend I have managed to arrange a surgical outpatient appointment on Friday to probably have it drained. From what I have read, after draining, there seems to be a fairly high incidence of immediate recurrence/re-filling.

Can anyone share their experience of seroma draining. Mine is the approximate size of a lemon shock I am due back to work on Monday and have a beach holiday booked in 4 weeks time blush

Thank you.

LongTimeLurking Thu 20-Sep-12 12:22:08

They will make a tiny incision or stick a needle in and drain off the fluid, it is pretty much painless in my experience. Chances are it will swell back up again and there is also a small risk of introducing bugs/infections when they break the skin to drain it off.

Watch out for the area being very red/hot/painful as that is a sign of infection also.

copycat Thu 20-Sep-12 21:27:39

Thank you very much for replying LTL. I will be very unhappy if the seroma does swell up again but, unfortunately, it does seem common for this to happen sad

Thanks again for your advice.

Gigondas Fri 21-Sep-12 16:00:30

I had two after a tumour was removed. I was told option to stop it refilling was either putting a drain in (which I had for about a week) or a sort of vacuum sponge thing that fits to a pump you carry in a little bag. This needs to be fitted and I think removed under a general anaesthetic but does have best success rate.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now