Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Anxiety

(6 Posts)
Chippychop Sun 09-Sep-12 18:24:03

Does anyone suffer this? What does it feel like ? How do you know you are not just having an off day? Is there an underlying cause/illness?

CrikeyOHare Sun 09-Sep-12 19:02:13

I've suffered with anxiety for about 20 years - at times it's worse than others.

On milder days, I have a sense of impending doom, feel a bit jittery, chest feels a bit tight, churning stomach, irritability.

On really bad days I get the whole racing heart thing with multiple ectopic beats, dry mouth, shaking, feeling hot & cold, aching muscles, extreme tiredness, tearfulness.

Not nice at all.

Anxiety CAN be a symptom of an underlying disorder (thyroid related or anaemia etc) so it's important to get checked over - but more often it's not.

The important thing to remember about anxiety symptoms is that they are NOT imaginary - they are real. But they are rarely indicative of a serious illness & can be controlled with various meds.

jimmijam Sun 09-Sep-12 20:17:13

im thinking mine may be down to having the implant-getting it removed soon in the hope thats it x

Chippychop Sun 09-Sep-12 20:28:16

Thanks so much crickey. That's so helpful. Wow it sounds like you've been through/go through the mill. Much appreciated

cheekyginger Fri 14-Sep-12 22:18:52

Same thing happened to me jimmijam.

I had the contraceptive implant and had used it for a number of years. Went through a phase of anxiety. Felt quite stressed with work/life/everything, and it came to a head when i couldnt sleep and my chest felt tight, heart was racing etc. I love my sleep so after about 2 night of this I went to GP who was really understanding and i actually went onto medication for a short spell. I also had my implant removed and went onto the pill (cerazette). The GP was great offered counselling or meds etc. I felt that it has all came out of the blue and i needed a quick fix. Felt the effects of the meds very quickly and reduced them gradually and was off them after about 10 weeks.

That was about 5 years ago and its never happened again since. Who knows what caused it.... But left untreated anxiety can really affect your life and mental health.

Hope your ok chippy x

jimmijam Sun 23-Sep-12 20:37:03

thanks for that cheeky i didnt mention anxiety but did mention other possible implant side effects. she didnt really listen saying how rare they are with implant- shes saying this to someone whom she knows had the mirena coil which perforated my uterus and got tangled up in my fallopian tube. at least shes given up trying to get me to have another coil! im thinking the pill may be the way forward, will let you know

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now