Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

funny turn while out shopping, legs shaking badly then need for toilet !! weird.

(35 Posts)
l4k Sat 01-Sep-12 10:47:29

Can not work this one out ! I sometimes suffer from what they have decided is ibs,and had been fairly uncomfortable since the day before.I was happily browsing when I noticed my legs were shaking,left more than right.I ignored it for half an hour or more than felt the need for the toilet (tmi now) I must have looked a bit strange because they let me use the staff one.On the toilet my legs shook violently for 15 mins and the bm was soft with loads of mucous and gunk.(sorry) I then felt a bit better but my legs still shook for another half an hour.
Don't suppose it's connected but I've had coccyx pain last couple of weeks which I've never had before.
It is very strange, anyone got any ideas?

tabbycat15 Sat 01-Sep-12 11:18:13

Have you had your IBS investigated? It could be ulcerative colitis if there is mucous. I would see a Dr if it is not usual for you to have mucous or the shaking. I hope you find out what's causing it.

narmada Sat 01-Sep-12 11:19:35

You should go to the doctors so they can check you out asap. Most likely you have some nerve inflammation or something similar but it would pay to get a pro to look at it.

l4k Sat 01-Sep-12 11:57:54

Yes, tabby, had flexi-sigmoidoscopy around may time and all came back clear.I've had the mucous often but never the shaking for no reason.

narmada,what kind of nerve inflammation do you mean? i have been getting mild pins and needles and numbness in my "under-carriage" area if I sit leaning backwards and then this coccyx pain when I get up or sit like that(as in not bolt upright) again.

thanks for your answers.
worried but not sure I need bother the gp.

BIWI Sat 01-Sep-12 12:01:25

Er - you don't want to bother the gp?! Why on earth not? This kind of attack clearly isn't normal, and you need to get it checked out.

l4k Sat 01-Sep-12 12:32:07

Biwi, that's made me smile because it's exactly what I would think having read that!!! The reason is, I seem to always have something wrong with me, a pituitary problem, migraine , diarrhoea with mucous,wheat or gluten intolerance, the list is long enough already. Although , I did knock a few things off it when I had a hysterectomy and prolapse repairs before Christmas last year!!! All that and I'm not 40 yet.

wiggofan Sat 01-Sep-12 17:03:25

It might be a vasovagal episode. You still need to see your GP though.
I'm celiac and if I accidentally eat gluten I always get a vasovagal response first (shaky legs, racing heart, feeling faint etc) then after 20 mins or so stomach cramps and mad dash for the loo.

l4k Sat 01-Sep-12 19:11:18

wig- not heard of that but it's possible.I suppose I'll have to drag myself to the gp and fill her in on my latest ailment. Thanks for the link-I'll do some more reading about it.
I don't think I'll ever know if I'm celiac as I wasn't tested until I'd been gluten free for 5 months.
Thank you.

l4k Sun 02-Sep-12 12:12:28

Had a look at vasovagal episode and I'm still not sure as I didn't faint and the shaking went on for at least an hour.
Anyone else had any vasovagal experiences like that?
Or any other ideas?

BIWI Sun 02-Sep-12 12:13:24

Yes. Here's an idea: GO TO YOUR GP! grin

You are allowed to have more than one thing wrong with you at any one time you know!

l4k Sun 02-Sep-12 15:16:13

Thanks for that, BIWI. I might just do that - but not tomorrow cos I'm really busy wink
Actually, I haven't left the house for 2 days now as I feel quite weak and tired.Also, still having digestive problems with really bad cramps and diarrhea today.Not fun.

LackaDAISYcal Sun 02-Sep-12 15:29:03

Could just be a bug? I have something similar at the minute. Aching pelvis/lower backache, cramps, mucousy diarhoea, shakes and feeling very cold/shivery and weak.

I also have coeliac disease (as well as other autoimmune conditions) and my first thought was gluten poisoning, but I'm certain I've not eaten anything that might have hidden gluten in, so concluding that's it's a viral/bacterial thing.

Given you have a record of stomach issues, I would get it checked out by the gp though.

l4k Sun 02-Sep-12 15:43:08

Hi Lacka, maybe. and yes to feeling cold, so similar symptoms.

i've been wondering if I had eaten gluten by mistake but can't think that I had.

probably never find out what caused my legs to shake so much.

Thanks though.

BonnyDay Sun 02-Sep-12 15:44:28

ffs go to the dr

narmada Sun 02-Sep-12 21:52:51

Yes, you really do need to go to the doctor.

When I mentioned nerve inflammation I had in mind sciatica-type issues - sometimes sciatica can make your legs go wobbly/ lose sensation. Not sure how that would affect your bowel tho.

The vasovagal thing sounds quite possible.

I would tell the doctor everything when you go, including about the coccyx pain. Maybe that being inflamed is causing other problems down below.

There is a very very rare condition called cauda equina syndrome which can present with pins and needles/ weakness in legs, back/ seat pain and numbness and bowel issues. I don't think it sounds like you have that BTW, but it is probably something that needs to be ruled out.

l4k Mon 03-Sep-12 21:53:29

I didn't say I wasn't going to the doctor, bonny. ffs.

thanks, narmada. Have been out all day but will ring first thing for appointment.

DisabilEightiesChick Mon 03-Sep-12 21:59:09

What's been going on in your life lately, any increased stress? The mucus does sound like UC. It may be that the intermittent nature of your episodes so far has led to the IBS diagnosis whereas in fact it's UC. Definitely worth a discussion with the GP and hopefully a referral.

PeachyPossum Tue 04-Sep-12 11:02:43

I have crohns and get mucous in bm and pins and needles in my upper back (referred pain)

If your not getting enough minerals etc due to a bowel issue could that cause shaky legs etc I wonder? I know it causes cramp (because my Mr told me and he is never ever wrong, oh no)

l4k Tue 04-Sep-12 11:16:57

Hi disabileighties, I was referred to colorectal who asked for the flexi-sig. The biopsies from that came back clear and I was told that rules out colitis and signed off. I wondered if I should have seen a gastroentlogist instead.
Anyway, got an appointment for a week tomorrow with gp. If I'm feeling extreamly lucky I can ring at 8 am in the morning and I might get one for tomorrow , but that's a long shot!!!
Thanks for your input.

l4k Tue 04-Sep-12 11:20:50

Didn't see that peachy, sorry .Is your Mr a gastro or a colorectal Mr? Does it make any difference do you think?

l4k Tue 04-Sep-12 11:37:11

Ps. Forgot to say - yes to stress. MIL living with us and waiting for her chemo to start for breast cancer, ds1 failed an AS level and kicked out of school, my dm had an accident last month and has fallen back into a depression. 3 dc back to school tomorrow , thankfully.

PeachyPossum Tue 04-Sep-12 12:13:38

Sorry, I quite literally meant my Mr, he's in construction, sorry if that was misconstrued! I wanted to quantify that my post was speculation and not knowledge!

Sorry!

l4k Tue 04-Sep-12 13:14:34

Oh, ok. Well thanks any waysmile

l4k Wed 05-Sep-12 11:26:10

Managed to speak to a gp on the phone, what a waste of time. He wasn't interested in the shaking or toilet symptoms, just said that the coccyx pain was likely the result of a strained lower back and take some pain killers and apply heat.
Pointless conversation. I'll keep the appointment with nice gp for next week .

DisabilEightiesChick Wed 05-Sep-12 17:03:46

Sorry you got dismissed like that l4k. Definitely keep next week's appt.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now