Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Stomach discomfort - a bit anxious

(13 Posts)
Limelight Fri 31-Aug-12 18:46:54

I think I'm just being a bit daft here but anyway...

I've got stomach ache which I've had on and off for about a month. It's not pain as such but discomfort and it's exactly where I imagine my stomach is - so mid to left upper abdomen. Sort of near to the bottom of my ribcage.

I had some sort of tummy bug I think at the beginning of all of this with various other symptoms (the usual) but this discomfort is hanging around. Also a bit of acidy indigestion (which I've only ever had when pregnant).

I'm fixating on it a bit I think. I had my gallbladder out last year during which time they discovered I had a large spleen. It's been checked out and everything is fine but I found the whole spleen thing quite terrifying (gallbladder was painful but didn't bother me).

My DH thinks I'm just winding myself up. Even I think it's nothing but I'm still worrying about it. Could it be IBS? Is it a hangover from gallbladder (I used to get a similar but infrequent pain when that was going on)? Is it just stomach ache?

I feel really stupid about the whole thing.

choclab Fri 31-Aug-12 19:22:25

I think poss IBS , i have IBS and my pain is on left hand side under ribs , and like a stitch pain , at its worse takes me to my bed , doubled in pain , and of corse stress and worry will make it worse ..

Limelight Fri 31-Aug-12 20:12:54

I did wonder if it's IBS. My system certainly doesn't seem to work as effectively as it did now I'm without a gallbladder. And I'm definitely stressing about it which I suspect isn't helping. The more I think about it, the more aware of it I am.

The way you describe your pain is very like mine although in my case it's clearly nowhere near as bad (poor you sad).

choclab Fri 31-Aug-12 20:30:52

i don't get so bad or all the time , just when I'm stressed and eat nuts and the foods i should avoid ..

bloating to and wind ...sorry TMI , and bad BM hope that helps ,

Limelight Sat 01-Sep-12 00:16:19

It really does. Thanks so much!

Hellokitt Sat 01-Sep-12 00:41:20

Sounds a bit like what I had. The acidity discomfort. Saw the GP & was prescribed Omperazole(reduces the amount of stomach acid produced), however after being on them for a couple of months I was still getting it. Not so much a pain aswell like you describe but an uncomfortable feeling. Hard to describe it. Was also having IBS symptoms, swollen stomach& then nausea started after eating. Saw GP again and she asked me if I was always exhausted, answered yes, 2 small children who isn't? She tested me for Heliobactor & it was positive, it can give you one or all of these symptoms I described. Was given a triple course of meds(2 antibiotic& Omperasole) for one week. Finished course 3 weeks ago, I have to go back to be tested to see if the course worked in another week or so. They told me it's the cause of a lot of reflux, 50% of population have it but not everyone gets symptoms. It's worth googling Heliobactor. 2 family members also tested positive & their only symptoms were the acidity you describe. Whatever it is though don't ignore acid feeling as it is not good for your stomach lining & I was told could lead to stomach ulcer. Since then I feel a little better( takes 3/4 months for symptoms to go) no more IBS symptoms & more energy. Do see GP to explain the feeling you describe. Good luck & hope it gets sorted for you.

jimmijam Sun 09-Sep-12 20:32:00

thanks hellokit!
i was mooching through these threads thinking i may be going crazy or just have a bug (followed by another) and be knackered from kids and work...will definately mention my symptoms to dr!

earwig1 Thu 27-Sep-12 09:55:01

I found this as no replies to my original post yesterday! I have had mild stich-like pain that comes and goes, on my left side, but sometimes my right, under ribs. Also down below near ovaries, dull discomfort/mild pain that comes and goes too... I think it started with a tummy bug three weeks ago. GP says it could be mild IBS, but no weird toilet changes! anyone?

earwig1 Thu 27-Sep-12 11:25:14

Limelight, is it mild stich-like pain that comes and goes?

MrsRobertDuvallHasRosacea Thu 27-Sep-12 20:21:18

I am having similar pain.
Dd too.

earwig1 Fri 28-Sep-12 20:38:28

Hi ladies, how is everyone doing? I am having peppermint tea, which I think it helps...but them discomfort starts again, and I am very aware of it all the time...

DizzyHoneyBee Wed 03-Oct-12 06:26:06

I wonder if that is what I have been getting, I too had my gall bladder out last year. I am getting terrified about it being the big C.

DizzyHoneyBee Wed 03-Oct-12 06:26:27

sorry to hijack your thread BTW

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now