Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Diabetes - have to wait till Wens to discuss with nurse. Help.

(10 Posts)
carocaro Fri 31-Aug-12 13:52:40

I have a blood test 10 day ago and just called for results, suspected diabetes, is that even how you spell it? Anyway the docs receptionist has said I have to speak to the nurse over the phone on Wednesday and I have an appt, she had no other details.

What does this mean? Stupid question I know, but if I were diabetic wouldn't they have me in ASAP? And would I not be seeing a doctor?

Any ideas?

THanks

they told you over the phone that you have suspected diabetes? Did they tell you what your blood sugar was?

If you have Type 2 diabetes you need to be seen fairly quickly but it's not an emergency situation unless your sugars are sky high. You will be fine to wait until wednesday.

Fluffycloudland77 Fri 31-Aug-12 20:20:23

Just eat a healthy diet until then and please try not to worry.

You might just be slightly elevated and need to watch your diet more carefully, my dh is type II and it's not a death sentance.

carocaro Fri 31-Aug-12 21:13:45

Thanks, but they did not tel me over the phone that I have suspected diabetes, that is what the blood test was for and I was calling for the results.

I do eat a healthy diet, brown everything, rice, pasta, bread, lots of fish, I eat no hardly any crap, no diet drinks or full fat coke tc, sure I could make some improvements, but it's not all to do with diet is it?

Fluffycloudland77 Fri 31-Aug-12 21:45:27

Ummm, unless it's type I caused by an autoimmune reaction destroying the insulin producing cells or a side effect of tabelt steroids then it's pretty much diet.

I dont think dh would be type II if he hadnt been drinking 4 pints of milk a day and exhausting his insulin supply.

Thats why in the early stages type II can often be controlled by diet alone.

awaywego1 Fri 31-Aug-12 22:20:26

If they suspected type 1 diabetes or your results were worrying they would have called you straight away so try not to worry too much.
Type 2 diabetes is often influenced by diet but not always, sounds like you are eating well do just keep doing that and contact your GP if you feel worse in the meantime.

carocaro Sat 01-Sep-12 17:38:16

Milk? Really? I drink lots of milk?!?! So confused. Oh well I will find out on Wednesday.

Fluffycloudland77 Sat 01-Sep-12 17:50:38

Cows milk makes your body pump out too much insulin. Which is why I've had 17 year olds present with age onset diabetes. They have literally worn out their pancreas.

I make DH have lacto free milk, it has half the available sugar of normal milk and doesnt taste the same so he isnt tempted to drink it as a drink, he just puts it in tea.

I'm allergic to cows milk so I dont have any and I dont suffer for it, were not baby cows after all.

AttilaTheMeerkat Sat 01-Sep-12 18:22:42

Here is some information on Type 2 diabetes.

www.patient.co.uk/health/type-2-diabetes

Thinkability Wed 10-Oct-12 19:21:31

Thanks for that Attila. It's just been useful to me and answered my questions too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now