Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Night sweats post partum - anyone had these?

(31 Posts)
ThePetiteMummy Sun 05-Aug-12 17:59:46

Dd2 was born 12 days ago (ELCS), and for the past few nights, I've been waking up in the early hours drenched in sweat. A quick google suggests that this is to do with hormone levels returning to normal. I'm exclusively breast feeding. Has anyone else had this, and is there anything I can do about it? It's driving me mad, as if having a newborn wasn't enough to disrupt my sleep! Not sure if it's relevant, but I developed an under active thyroid during pregnancy, & am still on thyroxine, to be reviewed at 6 weeks. I intend to ask my obstetrician about this, but he's currently away, & I would really appreciate any advice in the meantime.

worryingwillow Sun 05-Aug-12 18:02:28

Yes I had this after dd (dc2). It just stoppped on its own tbh.

ThePetiteMummy Sun 05-Aug-12 18:03:42

Thanks, can I ask how long it went on for? I never had them with dd1.

MadCap Sun 05-Aug-12 18:03:44

I had night sweats too with both of mine. I also ebf. I think that it is quite normal.

MadCap Sun 05-Aug-12 18:05:19

I can't remember how long exactly, but less than a week, I think.

I had it for about 8 weeks - ended up washing the bedding nearly every day! (tmi?)

pipsy76 Sun 05-Aug-12 18:20:35

Yes I had this too and was breast feeding, convinced myself it was something sinister but it then suddenly improved, try not to worry.

tanfastic Sun 05-Aug-12 18:21:59

I had this too. I seem to remember for a good couple of weeks. I also googled!

SaraBellumHertz Sun 05-Aug-12 18:26:56

Yes I had this - very common with EBF. Went on for quite a while for me.

Gigondas Sun 05-Aug-12 18:35:13

Yes and was a lot worse after elcs- went after about 6 weeks

Metalhead Sun 05-Aug-12 18:35:43

Another one here who sweated like mad! Didn't really think anything of it at the time - it was quite hot after DC was born so just thought it was norma. Can't remember exactly how long it went on for, but probably about 6-8 weeks.

It's just another one of those little things that no one tells you to expect after you've given birth...

Pendulum Sun 05-Aug-12 18:41:07

Yes but only the second time around - strange because both times i had a CS and EBF.

Lasted about 2 weeks I think.

ThePetiteMummy Sun 05-Aug-12 18:52:26

Thanks all, good to hear it's normal. Exactly Metalhead, I'd never heard of this before! I also wondered about the weather, but dh hasn't been hot at night. I was so happy not to be pregnant any more, and now this! The bed sheet thing is annoying, have started sleeping on a towel. Oh well, fingers crossed it stops soon!

MrsIcarus Sun 05-Aug-12 19:02:09

I had the same after my second pregnancy, but not with my first. Second delivery was an ELCS. Can't remember how long it lasted - maybe 2 or 3 weeks. I found it was worse if I'd eaten chocolate during the day.
After my first pregnancy I had night sweats a couple of days before my period (once they returned) - waiting to see if it happens again this time.
I'm also on thyroxin for an under active thyroid - don't know if there's any connection.

ThePetiteMummy Sun 05-Aug-12 19:10:17

Thanks Icarus, that's interesting.
No chocolate shock! Not sure the sweats bother me that much! grin Strange though, I wonder why that would be connected. I'll be interested to see if it does turn out to be connected to the thyroid.

MrsIcarus Sun 05-Aug-12 21:08:10

My personal theory is that the night sweats are caused by high prolactin levels, so once the milk supply has settled down and feeding is established, they go away. I think some foods are more likely to increase prolactin, but I've not looked into this properly. Hope you don't suffer for too long.

ThePetiteMummy Sun 05-Aug-12 21:26:27

Thank you, that's really interesting. Like I said, I'd never even heard of this as a post pregnancy symptom, so all experiences appreciated. This baby's feeding pattern is already quite different to dd1's. Dd1 fed every 2 hours until we started weaning. Dd2 feeds roughly every 3 hours, & seems to take sufficient milk really quickly (and has a tendency to vomit up the whole feed if she feeds for too long). Don't know if this has any relationship to the sweating/lack of sweating last time.

hazeldog Sun 05-Aug-12 21:30:28

i had them for a week or two post elcs and ebf. they went away on their own. think its pretty common. i think i was told it was possible side effect of elcs

BreastmilkDoesAFabLatte Sun 05-Aug-12 21:34:18

Ah, and I thought it was just me. I had this after DS and co-slept every night... poor thing would be all damp by morning.

ILikeToMoveItMoveIt Sun 05-Aug-12 21:39:10

I had this with all 3 and from memory it settled down after a few weeks.

My theory is it's the body's way of getting rid of the extra fluid you accumulate when you're pregnant, as well as the huge post partum wee's of course grin

BaldricksTurnip Sun 05-Aug-12 21:44:58

I sweated so badly after mine, absolutely soaked at night and also sweating horrifically in the day too! Another ebf here and it did settle eventually but was horrible while it lasted. I found a fan at the end of the bed was bliss for cooling me down.

ILikeToMoveItMoveIt Sun 05-Aug-12 21:55:02

Thinking about this further, it probably is worse after a section. Don't they hook fluids up when you have an epidural? Also as you are less mobile you won't lose quite so much fluid through activity.

ThePetiteMummy Sun 05-Aug-12 22:23:26

I think you're right about the body getting rid of excess fluid Moveit (I find the wees strangely satisfying blush!). I had a section with dd1, so not sure about the extra fluids with epidural being a reason. Ironically, I've been mobile much sooner this time, feeling pretty normal already, & off pain killers. I do feel pretty hot during the day too, but I guess being under a duvet at night exacerbates that. I had thought of using a fan Turnip, but I'm worried poor dd will get cold! (she's in a crib beside our bed).

skandi1 Mon 06-Aug-12 01:27:47

Had this after both DC. First time for about three months after birth. It was yuk. I would wake absolutely sodden.

Second time it wasn't as bad and vanished after about 8 weeks.

Sleep on towels it makes you feel less soggy as the absorb the moisture.

HolyOlympicNamechangeBatman Mon 06-Aug-12 01:36:55

I remember my sister having this, she convinced herself it was something terminal, but it went away on it's own after a month or so. She also had ELCS, but bottle fed from day one.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now