Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Thick womb lining - heavy periods

(5 Posts)
idotry Thu 26-Jul-12 16:45:23

I've had really heavy periods the past few months with small clots.
Doctor referred me for an pelvic ultrasound which I have had today along with a trans vaginal probe?
I have been told my womb lining is thick and a possible fibroid although this was apparently difficult to determine (period due in a few days) and I will be referred to a gynecologist.
I trotted home thinking nothing of it until I googled 'thick womb lining' and now I feel sick and worried.
Smears have always come back as normal. What tests will a Gynecologist run?
I'm 36.

poppedoutforapintofmilk Thu 26-Jul-12 20:17:44

I had same thing last November although I'm a lot older (51). After I'd had the ultrasound and trans vaginal thing, the radiologist said there was a large polyp and that the womb lining was thickened. I also googled and was really upset and convinced myself I had cervical cancer.

I had the polyp removed and when the consultant was 'in' there said she couldn't see anything that looked worrying and although they'd do a biopsy of a piece of womb lining, she was happy to discharge me on the spot. I got the results back about 3 weeks later in the form of a letter saying the lining sample was normal and that the thickening was probably due to hormones. The heavy bleeding and bleeding between periods stopped after the polyp was removed.

The polyp and biopsy were done with no anaesthetic in outpatient clinic. I was expecting it to be agony but it wasn't. It was crampy and unpleasant at times but the staff were really sweet and caring and it was nowhere near as bad as I'd imagined. I was absolutely fine afterwards (and I have a very low pain threshold) and was back to normal next day.

Hope you get good news and that everything is ok. Try not to worry. The stuff online is really scary and it's normal I think to assume the worst case scenario after reading it all.

idotry Thu 26-Jul-12 23:17:32

Thanks for taking the time to reply poppedout. I went from initially assuming symptoms were hormone related and nothing serious to a quivering wreck immediately after 'researching' online.

poppedoutforapintofmilk Fri 27-Jul-12 10:32:37

Me too. I was so worried I went back to my GP before the gynae appointment to ask how worried I needed to be! He said it obviously needed investigating but he wasn't overly concerned which I found reassuring because I trust him to be honest about stuff like that. Sometimes I HATE google. You KNOW you shouldn't start digging about on there but somehow you can't help yourself.

triangle3 Fri 20-Jan-17 17:30:39

Sorry to drag up an old thread but just wondering if you're still on here @idotry as I have had the same thing today and am the same age as you were when this happened to you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now