Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Can I take paracetamol alongside tramadol?

(22 Posts)
PavlovtheCat Tue 24-Jul-12 17:59:25

I am thinking I can as i took codeine with paracetamol, as co-codemol? The tramadol has replaced the co-codemol and so not taking the paracetamol element of the combined opiate/paracetamol medication, this is my thinking behind it.

iamabadger Tue 24-Jul-12 18:02:07

Yes you can (nurse here)

SauvignonBlanche Tue 24-Jul-12 18:03:38

Yes

PavlovtheCat Tue 24-Jul-12 18:03:50

oh good! I googled, but got some mixed messages.

I am taking 50mg tramadol (at the moment, not working very well), can I take 1000mg paracetamol alongside it as I would with codeine? I am also taking diclofenac.

fedupbythesea Tue 24-Jul-12 19:24:46

Yes you can. I take 100mg of tramadol and 1000mg of paracetemol every 4 hours. I have taken this with ibuprofen as well as advised by my gp. Hope your pain eases

PavlovtheCat Tue 24-Jul-12 20:10:03

fedupbythesea I am taking tramadol 4 x daily, so will take the 100mg with it, thanks! and sorry you are in that much pain you need it too sad. I hope it eases for you too. Did you go straight to 100mg of tramadol? DH said I should just go up to 100mg, but I don't want to do that without gp advice. I will call him tomorrow to talk about it, will see how the paracetamol works.

I am taking diclofenac which is the equivalent of Ibruprofen, so hopefuly the whole mix together will kick my pain into next week, but i doubt it <sigh> just taking the edge off will help. Although, i expect this is taking the edge off, hate to think about how I would be feeling without my medication shock

fedupbythesea Tue 24-Jul-12 22:23:19

Me too. I always think it mustnt help at all as i hurt so much but i just have to hope its doing something. Im lucky in that i dont tend to get any side effects. Ive been taking it for a while tho on the max dosage. I took 100mg from the start with no ill effects. Even taking 100mg twice a day might help you. Its worth a go

sashh Wed 25-Jul-12 04:28:13

Yes, and it works well to augment other thiings. You can actually get tramocet which is tramadol+paracetamol in one pill.

PavlovtheCat Thu 26-Jul-12 00:30:30

fedup i might try that, taking two at once x 2 daily. I am not at work and so it is a good time to try it, especially in the day time when DH is here before work grin

I was very surprised that the affects on me have been minimal. I had some tiredness/spacedness for the first day, and now it does not feel like I am even taking it, I feel no affects from it in the day time at least. I actually find I am not very tired at bed time and cannot sleep easily on it. But, oddly, I am finding that I am wanting to be a bit neater? I am finding myself organising things like at a friend's bbq today, I stacked the plates on the table and straightened the ketchup and sauce bottles/put the lids back on them, keep doing stuff like this and even DH has noticed!

I have been taking the paracetamol with the tramadol and diclofenac and it has made a big difference, I was very surprised at how much better I have felt today.

PavlovtheCat Thu 26-Jul-12 00:30:52

sassh maybe I will talk to gp about that. he did not mention paracetamol at all to me.

SuddenlyMadameGlamour Thu 26-Jul-12 00:31:13

Yes you can. smile

wishiwasonholiday Thu 26-Jul-12 00:32:52

I'm on tramadol and my gp said that if you take paracetamol with it they have a better effect which they do for me, I had to go on the slow release tramadol though cos they were wearing off overnight but the slow release are much better.

PavlovtheCat Sun 29-Jul-12 16:15:31

Rather than start another thread. One more question:

Paracetamol is helping with pain releif alongside tramadol and diclofenac. But not as much as I want/hoped/expected. I am taking 50mg of tramadol but am aware this can go as high as 100mg safely. DH has suggested I increase to 100mg but I am not sure as gp prescribed 50mg. Should I wait to talk to gp about this? Or do you think I should/could increase ths safely now? The medication leaflet itself says 'take 1-2 tablets up to 4 times daily wih no more than 8 tablets/400mg in 24 hours (para)' unless otherwise stated.

I think I need more to cut through the unbearable pain.

PavlovtheCat Sun 29-Jul-12 16:17:11

That is I am taking tramadol 50mg x 4 daily (200mg in total) Want to increase to 100mg x4 daily (400mg in total).

wishiwasonholiday Sun 29-Jul-12 17:24:20

Pavlov I would speak to your gp, they may not prescribe more if you've used double what they said. I take 400mg daily but in the slow release ones do I take 200mg every 12 hours they're much better as they don't wear off overnight like the 50mg ones as I would wake up in agony.

PavlovtheCat Sun 29-Jul-12 17:28:05

I was thinking of calling ooh gp to ask? Don't need to see them jus over he phone question? But then worried it is not emergency as such, I can cope if I have no choice, I don't want o to be seen as wasting their time. Oh it's Sunday now, I will just crack on.

wishiwasonholiday Sun 29-Jul-12 17:30:40

Worth a try, I keep medicine in for asthma and if I get a chest infection they just give me permission over the phone so that my gp will issue replacements rather than travelling to them.

RabbitsMakeBrownEggs Sun 29-Jul-12 17:32:03

Yes, I've been told that the paracetamol makes the tramadol work better. I take 400mg a day, two modified release tablets as they are long term meds. You can even mix co-codamol and tramadol, though I wouldn't recommend without a doctor's say so, though I have done during kidney infections.

PavlovtheCat Sun 29-Jul-12 17:48:43

I might call tonight just to get the nod. Then as you say when I run out quicker they won't think I am abusing them as they will have agreed the increase, or not. I don't have to go to gp these days for meds, just a call for prescription, and when I am in a lot of psin they fax straight to pharmacy for Dh to collect asap.

wendyabi Tue 03-Jun-14 18:06:27

can i take paracetamol with Tramadol 100mg modified-release tablets

ChestyNut Tue 03-Jun-14 19:02:12

Yes

wendyabi Tue 03-Jun-14 22:26:12

thank you

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now