Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Cholesterol reading 5.3

(8 Posts)
cantfindamnnickname Thu 05-Jul-12 17:12:10

Im 36, weigh 10st, 5ft 6 and Im very active - I do circuit training at least twice a week and normally would do something else as well.

My reading is high - any ideas why?

hellymelly Thu 05-Jul-12 17:16:18

Well its not hideously high. Also the ratio (of HDL/LDL) is more important than the overall figure.Do you know what that was? Cholesterol is manufactured in the body and some people just have naturally higher levels, it is also important for hormone production. My DH is very slim,(thin and wirey) very active and fit, and only a few years older than you, and his was 6.9. He tried to cut out all the butter and cheese he'd been eating and it did drop nearly two points.

Willowisp Mon 09-Jul-12 19:07:02

Stress ? My cholesterol was 5.3 & whilst I always eat butter, milk, I didnt really exercise, other than walking to school. I also didnt eat much fruit & I rarely eat cheese...preferring chocolate.

2 years on & I'm 4.9. I exercise a couple of times a week, walk to school, walk the dog & eat more fruit. Still eating butter..but not by the spoonful !

I was unable to get the breakdown on both occasions from my Dr, so unfortunately can't compare old & new versions.

IMO no one knows about cholesterol, if they did, they'd have the answers. Exercise + good natural diet (no artificial sugars, glucose fructose syrups, hydrogenated fats etc) & I don't think you can go wrong.

Putthatbookdown Mon 09-Jul-12 20:01:00

Give me a list of foods to avoid:
1. Cheese
2. bacon

fromthehealthyheart Sun 06-Jan-13 18:34:53

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

BigStickBIWI Sun 06-Jan-13 18:37:25

Oh FFS - stop doing this, fromthehealthyheart. This is spamming.

fromthehealthyheart Sun 06-Jan-13 19:53:51

Sorry to have caused offence BigStickBIWI - just starting out and learning the ropes.

fromthehealthyheart Sun 06-Jan-13 19:54:09

Sorry to have caused offence BigStickBIWI - just starting out and learning the ropes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now