Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

talk to me about under active thyroid....

(9 Posts)
headfairy Mon 25-Jun-12 19:00:58

My mum, grandmother, aunt and great aunt all have thyroid problems (under active mostly, my aunt has an over active one) and it's been niggling me for a while but I've kind of ignored a few things.

I am always cold, I have almost no pubic hair, I find it very hard to lose weight (5'10, 14st and don't lose weight on 1500 cals a day despite being pretty active), quite achey most of the time and tired almost continuously (but I work full time and have two pre-schoolers so isn't that normal?)

Would all of the above be enough to go to the doc and ask for some tests? My mum said I need to ask for tests beyond the standard FSH (?) test, as her's was normal, it was only when they tested further they found she was deficient. What sort of tests should the gp be doing to establish if everything's ok (or not)?

RockinD Mon 25-Jun-12 19:58:03

Key words in your post for me "I have almost no pubic hair" - on that alone I would put money on your being hypothyroid (underactive). Go and see your doc, tell him about the family history and see what he says.

In an ideal world your doc would test TSH, FT4,FT3 and antibodies, together with a full iron panel, Vitamin B12 and folate and Vitamin D.

Realistically, on the NHS you will get TSH and possibly antibodies, but you are unlikely to get FT4 and FT3, which are the tests that really tell you what is going on with our thyroid, if your TSH is within the reference range.

You should be able to get all the vitamin and mineral tests.

Go and see what you can get, and keep posting.

D

Good luck and jeeo posting,.

headfairy Mon 25-Jun-12 21:00:30

cheers Rockin... my mum always goes on about her lack of pubic hair. On the upside I save a fortune on hair removal!

I do have Bupa through my dh's work scheme... I wonder if it's worth pursuing it down that route? I always wonder though if they do a battery of tests purely because they can get paid for them. Mind you, if those tests reveal a deficiency somewhere then it's worth it.

mercibucket Mon 25-Jun-12 21:13:27

Yes, definitely definitely go bupa if you have it. Nhs is crap at thyroid stuff

Bet you are underactive - sounds it!

Can I also recommend health unlocked and thyroid uk's chat board on there for further advice - they're really helpful

mercibucket Mon 25-Jun-12 21:13:28

Yes, definitely definitely go bupa if you have it. Nhs is crap at thyroid stuff

Bet you are underactive - sounds it!

Can I also recommend health unlocked and thyroid uk's chat board on there for further advice - they're really helpful

headfairy Mon 25-Jun-12 21:29:27

Thanks for that Mercibucket (twice wink)

thereinmadnesslies Mon 25-Jun-12 22:11:40

Definitely go Bupa if you can. I have an under active thyroid. I was getting nowhere with my GP, then managed to get myself referred privately using my employers medical insurance. It has been a totally different experience - nothing is too much trouble for the consultant and he is teaching me how to manage the condition for the future (my health insurance will only pay until the condition is stabilised). I had my first 'normal' blood result last month, I genuinely believe I would still be badly hypo if my GPs were managing it.

Lilysmaesmum Fri 12-Oct-12 09:06:06

Can anyone give me advise on my child just found out she has under active thyroid at 18months i also have under active but have been told symptoms are different in children i have asked my doctors questions and seam to get different answers every time.
If anyone has any information to help me along this process that would be great as im finding things very hard to process with no information
Thanks

mercibucket Fri 12-Oct-12 23:08:01

Hi Lily, sorry to hear about your daughter. You might get more replies if you start a new thread (button at the top)
I don't know anything about hypothyroidism in children but on the health unlocked website there is a support group for thyroid sufferers and some have children with hypothyroidism (thyroid uk)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now