Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Spotting for 6 days before period...

(17 Posts)
IawnCont Mon 25-Jun-12 11:53:25

Why is this happening?
I have a regular 28-day cycle. Always been this way. We're ttc DC3 for 3 months. But these last two months, I've had light spotting for 5-6 days before period is due, and then period starts on time, and is normal.
This has never happened before.
Any ideas?

IawnCont Mon 25-Jun-12 12:57:44

bump

TheCunningStunt Mon 25-Jun-12 13:01:28

Are you sure you can't be pregnant? Implantation can sometimes cause spotting. But if it's happened before, I am not sure. I sometimes get a light pinkish colour a few days before my period. But that's normal for me. If in doubt, see your gp

LulaPalooza Mon 25-Jun-12 13:03:14

Have you done a pregnancy test, Iawn?

What colour is the spotting? Have you had any other symptoms?

IawnCont Mon 25-Jun-12 13:05:00

Spotting is pinky red. Don't think I'm up the duff as I had a completely normal period after the spotting (it was as if the period took ages to start properly IYKWIM) and I've not bled in either of my other pregnancies.
Thanks for replying.

orangeflutie Mon 25-Jun-12 13:09:44

I get brown spotting before my period for about a week and have done now for a few years. It's a nuisance as obviously my period lasts longer. I suffer from endometriosis though so think this is the cause.

How old are you? I'm 44 and have had this since the start of my forties so have also put it down to age and changes in hormones.

IawnCont Mon 25-Jun-12 13:12:08

I'm 29. It's quite odd to go from being so regular to this. Will make an appointment to see GP, as I think the advice is to go if there's any change in bleeding.

orangeflutie Mon 25-Jun-12 13:15:20

Yes I would see your GP to help put your mind at rest.

farfallarocks Mon 25-Jun-12 13:17:56

I had this and lots of others on the conception board also do, it is worrying because you think it might affect an embryo's ability to implant successfully. Taking B vitamins helped stop this for me (and anecdotally for others) and thhe month I got pregnant I had no spotting before AF. Good luck.
Just to warn you, a lot of GPs are fairly clueless about fertility realted stuff and many dismiss spotting as not a problem.

LulaPalooza Mon 25-Jun-12 13:25:39

Iawn, I think it's a good idea to see your GP if you're at all worried.

I really hope that what I am going to say next doesn't worry you unduly, but it's the reason why I think you should POAS/ see your GP and put your mind at rest a little...

I had similar spotting followed by what seemed like normal periods when I had an ectopic pregnancy. That's why I didn't know I was "pregnant" until it ruptured.

Hope all is ok with you x

IawnCont Mon 25-Jun-12 13:31:53

Thanks for the info, everyone. And thank you for being honest Lula. It's a good think you said because I will certainly make an appt to see GP tomorrow, and that can't be bad.
Hope you're okay- That sounds very traumatic.

LulaPalooza Mon 25-Jun-12 14:02:44

I'm fine thanks, hon. This happened over a year ago and was traumatic at the time, but hey, at least it means me and Mr Palooza can conceive!

berri Sat 30-Jun-12 19:52:16

I have had this for about a year. Def not pg and I've had an internal ultrasound for them to have a look if anything was wrong, and they still couldn't see anything.

Normal smear too.

It is v annoying as you said as your period lasts about 2 weeks of the month - its a bit too light for a tampon but too heavy for nothing/pantyliners....so frustrating.

Which b vitamins were recommended?

Clementine79 Mon 09-Jul-12 08:29:53

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

nivky Mon 20-Mar-17 05:23:26

Hi all, I know this board is very old however I am having the same issues and wondering if anybody has any answers? Since a miscarriage 7 months ago I also have a spotting/light bleed for approx 6 days before my period. It's light bleed, bbt stays high and then full af starts. The doc referred me to the hospital for fertility tests but my appointment on NHS keeps being cancelled. Any feedback on somebody who got answers from this? Thanks

VioletHornswaggle Mon 20-Mar-17 07:43:43

I sometimes get it and put it down to stress as I get spotting during a particularly stressful month. If you are TTC, TRY Angus Castus (Holland and Barratt) to help regularise your periods.

nivky Mon 20-Mar-17 08:18:59

Thanks VioletHornswaggle, I haven't heard of Angus Castus so will certainly give that a try next month...and work on the stress levels to see if it helps.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now