Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

suddenly I'm bruising really easily?

(57 Posts)
jaggythistle Sat 02-Jun-12 12:18:37

As title really.

I did have DC2 6 weeks ago and suffered a really bad cold, so am a bit sleepy and have crashed into a few door handles etc, but not to the extent that my arms and legs would have so many!

I'm going to have to wear long sleeves for the time being as it looks horrendous sad

Will prob go to the doc this week, but interested in what might be causing it.

Whiteshoes Sat 02-Jun-12 14:10:57

I'm sure you are just being a bit more clumsy, and you have very probably just bashed yourself even more than you realize, but do go to the doctors, as infections and more bruising can be signs of leukemia. But but but, before you panic, your immune system will be knocked out by pregnancy, hence the real reason for the cold. I very very much doubt it's anything serious, but do get a quick blood test, just to be cautious.

Nb you're not taking a post natal blood thinner are you? That can cause amazing bruises!

jaggythistle Sat 02-Jun-12 14:21:01

no, no blood thinner. only medication recently was a bit of Ibuprofen or paracetamol for sore head and face with the cold.

i suppose some of them could be flailing toddler feet or getting whacked with DS1's toys that i haven't noticed. toddlers do get a bit enthusiastic when jumping about. smile

DoingItForMyself Sat 02-Jun-12 14:33:09

Thyroid? Underactive can cause bruising and is common (even if only temporarily) after childbirth, but is often masked by general tiredness, aches & pains, confusion/forgetfulness, depression that is mistaken for PND. Keep an eye for any other symptoms and if it doesn't improve ask for a test - took me 10 months for GP to finally listen and test me. x

mercibucket Sat 02-Jun-12 14:38:31

It's worth a quick blood test for thyroid and anaemia - both common after pregnancy

mercibucket Sat 02-Jun-12 14:38:31

It's worth a quick blood test for thyroid and anaemia - both common after pregnancy

jaggythistle Sat 02-Jun-12 20:51:09

thanks all, will try to get seen this week. smile

DeWe Sat 02-Jun-12 21:53:06

I do generally bruise very easily, but it's noticably worse in pregnancy for me.

ToothbrushThief Sat 02-Jun-12 22:03:12

jaggy - how bad is the bruising?

Any other aches and pains?

Kewcumber Sat 02-Jun-12 22:07:43

ITP is also a possibility (I have it) idiopathic thrombocytopenia purpura causes low platelet count - bruising, bleeding gums, rash

But there's not really much point guessing a blood test will pick up anything.

Most likely explanation is that you have in fact been bashing into things a bit more than you've noticed!

Tranquilidade Sat 02-Jun-12 22:27:44

I think I read somewhere that hormones can affect bruising somehow, think it said women bruise more when premenstrual so maybe it is to do with hormones. Wouls still get it checked though.

jaggythistle Sun 03-Jun-12 00:40:53

thanks again all. i have a couple of big ones that i know i bashed off things. but a whole load on my upper arm and round about my wrist which have me confused.

i also have one on each knee and some on my shins/calves, including some odd wee dots.
e
no special aches, arms and shoulders maybe but figure thats from carting small people about!

hopefully I'm just so busy getting used to having a queue for nappy changes that i haven't noticed quite how many doorframes I'm bouncing off.

ToothbrushThief Sun 03-Jun-12 00:42:07

jaggy - I mailed you -you need to sort out a blood test. ITP comes on after childbirth sometimes

jaggythistle Sun 03-Jun-12 00:47:48

sorry toothbrush ndant to say thanks for the mail. blush

ToothbrushThief Sun 03-Jun-12 00:55:38

No problem smile

Not sure if this will link... Petechiae small pin prick bruising? It does need checking out if this is what you have

Iamseeingstars Sun 03-Jun-12 08:15:51

You need to have blood tests. Low platelets can cause bruising

Iamseeingstars Sun 03-Jun-12 08:17:12

Toothbrush.. This is what my skin looks like. Arms, legs boobs and stomach!

Kewcumber Sun 03-Jun-12 10:08:20

ITP bruising can also look just like normal bruising. If platelet count haven't dropped low enough there may not be petechiae (though I'm not sure if technically it counts as ITP if petechiae haven't developed yet).

Iam seeingstars - is this recent? Have you seen a doctor? Do your gums bleed?

jaggythistle Sun 03-Jun-12 10:17:25

i've got petechiae everywhere now that i've looked sad

WifiNappies Sun 03-Jun-12 10:22:57

I bruise easily too but it's been worse since I had my baby and she's now 8mo!

The bruises on my upper arms are awful, and mostly explained by her pinching me while breastfeeding I think. Dunno about my legs tho!

I was drawn to your post and look into the advice you've been offered smile

Kewcumber Sun 03-Jun-12 10:24:46

Sounds like ITP - I'm afraid I wouldn't leave it until next week. Can you go to a GP walk-in centre at a hospital and they can arrange a blood test for you. If your gums aren't bleeding then its probably not too bad. Provided your platelet count isn't too low they will treat you as an outpatient.

If your gums are bleeding and you are bruising instantly when you knock yourself or you are getting nose bleeds get someone to take you to A&E immediately, do not pass go, do not stop to collect your £200!

ITP can be a mild chronic or acute condition or very rarely it can be more urgent. Even the more urgent cases are generally relatively easily treated.

jaggythistle Sun 03-Jun-12 10:25:21

Doc first thing tomorrow for me. I'm assuming it's not out of hours worthy?

jaggythistle Sun 03-Jun-12 10:26:57

x-post - could go today if i call NHS 24 I think.

gp open session is 8.30am tomorrow.

jaggythistle Sun 03-Jun-12 10:27:38

not bruising instantly, no bleeding gums.

Kewcumber Sun 03-Jun-12 10:33:53

If you aren't bruising instantly and no bleeding gums then I would guess (caveat - ITP patient here not doctor!) your count is somewhere around 30 - 50 which isn't dangerous so no, no need for out of hours service. However if gums start bleeding or bruising become significantly worse you MUST go to A&E immediately.

Depending on your platelet count they may not even treat they may monitor as its possible post- pregnancy disappears (not sure - mine wasn't post pregnancy and was significant).

FWIW I think the slight sleepiness is baby related not ITP related!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now