Talk

Advanced search

oowwwwwwooooooOOOOooo! any one else with TMJ disorder?(sorry-long WHINGE)

(36 Posts)
SpringHeeledJack Mon 21-May-12 18:12:58

apols if you thought it was wolefs

it was merely a hooowl of pain

have had temporomandibular joint disorder since a butcher some fucker in a dentist's coat removed one of my wisdom teef- a smidge at a time over the spoace of more than an hour- about 9 years ago

most of the time I am ok, but then BANG- I get a dull ache in my jaw joint- which spreads to my ear, cheek and teeth- which can knock me out for a week or more. It's like the worst toothache in the world. Times a thousand

ho no! I am not exaggerating. How very dare you.

because it's not really fixable, dentists don't treat it seriously (well, none of the twelvety thousand I've seen have- they've given me guards and all sorts but the best they can come up with now is the Rueful Shrug)- doctors do the pain relief bit but can't help with the condition itself cos it's perceived as a dental prob)

hmm

just wondered if anyone on here had it ever and fancies popping in for a whine every now and then. My nearest and dearest are sick of it

I shall pop back periodically and bump just in case

meantime am off to bed, parking kids in front of telly while ripped to the tits on diazepam, amitriptylene, paracetamol and with hot bag on cheek.

(that's me, not them, of course)

OP’s posts: |
storynanny Mon 13-Jan-14 18:59:52

Did any of you get rid of your jaw pain? Ive had left jaw pain for 16 months after having a clicky jaw for a few weeks. Xray at maxifacial place said " muscular" . It is really painful everytime I move my mouth etc, would like to hear if any of you managed to find a "cure"
Ps I dont recognise any of your names so not sure if any of you will reply.

SadFreak Mon 13-Jan-14 23:48:13

Hi Storynanny

I am sat up in bed tonight in agony with this. Mine is made worse with stress and more teeth grinding.

I have not yet found a cure. Diazepam can help with the muscle spasm and tensesness though and I usually find that and a mix of strong painkillers can help a little. The problem with diazepam its very short term acting so ideally its taken before bed so you get some relief loing enough to fall asleep. I started off on 2mg - a very low dose and then built up a little. I dont take it all the time just when having a painful flareup and if the painkillers are not relieving me after a few days.
Sadly the codine messes up my IBS but it can help. I have some Naproxen in so may try that later (took paracetamol 2 hours ago) to see if it relieves the pain.

storynanny Tue 14-Jan-14 14:36:06

Ive tried every painkiller going but nothing helps, Im going to get a second opinion and ask for alternative "cures"

Saltire Tue 14-Jan-14 19:59:33

I have TMJ. The doc says mine is caused by my Fibromyalgia. I find that naproxen (which i am prescribed anyway) or ibuprofen seem to help more than paracetamol, and if I am resting, I put a hot water bottle, wrapped in a towel on my jaw it sems to help

PiggyPlumPie Tue 14-Jan-14 22:00:55

Apologies if anyone has already tried this . I had TMJDS years ago and was given a mouth exercise to do which really helped. It is a bit difficult to explain but here goes...

Place the tip of your tongue on the roof of your mouth. Slowly open your mouth as wide as you can whilst keeping your tongue on the roof of your mouth. Repeat.

It sounds and feels like it won't do any good but did for me.

storynanny Wed 15-Jan-14 13:38:54

oddly enough though, when I saw the consultant after having the xray, she said she didnt believe in exercising as it could make it worse! Not sure how I could make it even worse than it is at the moment though so will have another try at that exercise, I did see it recommended on an online health site.

Mrsmorton Wed 15-Jan-14 14:37:23

I'm a dentist and I have TMJ disfunction. I made my self a little thing called a lucia jig (which you can google) and when I wear it overnight, the pain is gone. They are easy to make but probably not on an NHS code? I don't know and you can only wear them at night but they are worth a try.

storynanny Wed 15-Jan-14 16:36:25

had a look at lucia jig, its sound promising, I will mention it to my dentist, thanks. I suppose it is a bit similar to an idea I also read somewhere ie put your tongue between teeth to make sure you are not clenching teeth and making the problem worse.

Mrsmorton Wed 15-Jan-14 16:40:57

Yes precisely. It allows all the ligaments around the TMJ to relax. I've broken mine and keep meaning to make another bcse I've been waking with stinking headaches and Unopenable mouth but I'm too sad and I CBA.

TickleMyTitsTillFriday Fri 12-Dec-14 08:13:24

I've just been dI agios ed with this and am feeling pretty miserable and sorry for myself! Already on tramadol, amytriptline and naproxen for mu back and it STILL hurts. I know this is a zombie thread but I'm in too much pain to give a shit right now!

JV94 Fri 06-Sep-19 07:10:23

I know it's an old thread, but I was wondering how people's conditions were doing now that some time had past?

I too had a surgeon (at the ENT hospital near Kings Cross) pull my jaw wide open causing my disc to dislocate during what was supposed to be a routine wisdom teeth extraction.

I have learnt now that this is not fixable. However, I have learned this on my own. The consultants here will never be honest with you about this. They know nothing. They are not educated in it at all and therefore are forced to downplay how serious it is. This gives people false hope. At the start you think its not that bad. But over time this will leave you suicidal. The advice that they don't give using a serious tone is that you even though you are not in pain at the start and you may just experience clicking, eventually if you carry on as normal by opening your mouth wider than 1cm and chewing food, it will ruin your joint and there will come a time when it will lock shut completely and there will be nothing these surgeons can do to permanently fix it.

Joint replacement has been very controversial with a lot of people's lives being left devastated by dodgy replacements who seemed fine for a few year but eventually it ruined their bones. This surgery is non reversible and the chances of getting an auto immune disease is high. Risks are huge!!

Watch the videos on the link below. This condition is no joke. It gets worse. Its a ticking time bomb and these world leading surgeons actually should not be trusted. I was given a mouth guard at Guy's by a training dentist, that after I wore, left me in permanent pain because I was clenching with my tmj disc not there to cushion the joint. The dental consultants don't have a clue. They don't even look at your MRI. They just read the report and hand these things out like it says in their text books they memorised to pass their exams.

nationalacademies.org/hmd/Activities/PublicHealth/TemporomandibularDisorders/2019-MAR-28/Videos/S0/1.aspx

If you just have minor pain i urge you to take it seriously. Stop using your jaws.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in