Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Hysterectomy right for me?

(34 Posts)
catuxa Sun 06-May-12 18:08:58

first of all,apologies in advance for I'm about to give tmi!
I'm 41 andI've been suffering from painful and extremely heavy periods for many,many years. Things got worse after having my ds 5 years ago. In a normal period I have to change a super plus tampon and double pad every 25-30 minutes and get up every 90 minutes during the night to get changed.extremelly embarassing episodes of flooding and severely anaemic. i have been on iron forever...
I have fibroids, had a uterine polyp removed August 2011. Tried Tranexamic acid and improved slightly (change every hour). Had mirena coil fitted January 2012 and it's made things 10 times worse, the tampons will only last 5 minutes and clots the size of the palm of my hand. Had scan and coil is being pushed out the uterus by the calcified fibroids.
Have tried for another baby for 4years but now I've accepted we won't be able to have anymore children so fertility is not longer an issue.
Oral progestOgen is the only thing that has managed to stop bleeding but it does start again as soon as I stop taking it. The coil needs to be removed and I think I'm running out of options. My quality of life is rubbish at the moment sad
Gynaecologist recommended hysterectomy as soon as I decided not to have more children.
I have always been dead against it but I now think is my only option. Any advice?

RandomMess Sun 06-May-12 18:13:20

Hmmmm

I would ask if novasure endometrial ablation would be worth trying first - not sure if it's a possiblity with the other issues you have such as fibroids.

I had flooding and heavy periods etc etc and it has been fantastic - had it not been an option I think I would have had a hysterctomy as I have my life back now, can exercise, no getting up in the night etc etc

SquashedSquirrel Sun 06-May-12 18:25:42

I had very large fibroids and many of the issues you've described so I feel your pain. I had fibroid embolisation treatment initially but there were still a lot of issues and so had a hysterectomy in Jan this yr.

I finally feel as if I have my life back. I had been in almost constant pain for 2.5 yrs, had suffered from heavy bleeding, flooding etc for some time and now cannot believe how much my life has changed. It's such a relief to wake up in the morning and be pain free.

I'm not suggesting that you rush into making a decision however if a hysterectomy is the only option available then I would go for it. My recovery was very simple and so in some respects my story may not be 'the norm', I don't know. I just wish I'd had it done sooner but as I don't have children, my Consultant was reluctant.

catuxa Sun 06-May-12 18:32:24

RandomMess, thanks for that. I'll check with gynecologyst but he said there was a high chance of perforating uterus if having ablation.

catuxa Sun 06-May-12 18:34:00

squashedSquirrel, thanks for your message. Would you mind me asking what sort of hysterectomy did you have?

Theas18 Sun 06-May-12 18:35:38

Marking place. Could be me, different reasons.

RandomMess Sun 06-May-12 18:36:08

Eeek

Ok I'd def go for womb removal then, presumably they would leave your ovaries in?

My op didn't go that well in terms of recovery - I was sterilised at the same time so 4 weeks in total for full recovery rather than a week to get over the GA. It was still well worth it and I would do it gain if need be.

cocolepew Sun 06-May-12 18:36:34

I had an ablation 3 years ago instead of a hysterectomy, I'm now in a worse state than before and I'm hoping to get my hysterectomy within the next few weeks. I can't wait TBH.

SquashedSquirrel Sun 06-May-12 18:40:34

cat I had my womb removed but have my cervix and ovaries.

BerthaTheBogBurglar Sun 06-May-12 18:42:18

What are your reasons for not wanting a hysterectomy? Is it 'just' the op? I had one at the same time as a cs so can't tell you about that part. They removed my womb and left my ovaries in.

It's fab. Not having periods is just the best thing ever. I went out and bought a load of tampons/pads last week cos dd is gettting older and I thought I'd better have something in the house - it felt so wierd to be in that aisle of the shop!

It's a little odd that I occasionally realise I'm having PMT - the hormones are clearly still doing their cycle.

catuxa Sun 06-May-12 18:43:02

My ovaries are healthy so will be keeping them.

catuxa Sun 06-May-12 18:45:11

My reluctance to have major op it's the recovery time,don't have family around apart from dh and ds and I don't know how I'll cope. Am I being a wuss?

cocolepew Sun 06-May-12 18:47:00

As long as you can rest and go without driving, recovery should be fine.

cocolepew Sun 06-May-12 18:47:39

You won't need 'nursed' as such when you leave hospital.

SquashedSquirrel Sun 06-May-12 18:52:02

I agree re the recovery ie I was on my own for a large portion of the 6 weeks. I made sure that I had stocked up with 'heavy items' beforehand. I managed stairs whilst I was still in hospital, so no problem there and went out for a walk every day. It was much easier than I imagined but I accept that I may have been lucky.

RandomMess Sun 06-May-12 18:52:11

Your ds is 5 - he doesn't need lifting and carrying, you won't be able to hoover and iron, what a shame wink

JiminyCricket Sun 06-May-12 18:56:22

Sorry you are having such a rough time, sounds horrid (I also had fibroid and problems with coils being expelled, and huge continence issues, but luckily no bleeding due to Mirena) I had a sub-total three months ago - kept ovaries and cervix. My recovery has been very straightforward, and my quality of life is loads better, even sex/libido. I didn't wait very long before having the op, and I didn't try anything else, but it seemed to make sense and it worked out OK - but as Squashed says, recovery is not necessarily straightforward for everyone. If you do think about going ahead, ask about the risks etc of the particular operation you will have. I think my surgeon said the main risks were surrounding organs (eg bladder) being traumatised by surgery. Also menopause can come straight away for some women, even with the ovaries retained. Hope you work it out.

catuxa Sun 06-May-12 20:18:26

jiminyCricket I'd hate to go through menopause at just 41 but I hope that's not a very common complication.
I really need to go through all the risks with gynaecologist.

JiminyCricket Sun 06-May-12 20:21:28

I could drive after four weeks, and do light chores easily after a week or so, - you will need rest and help - how much can your DH be around? I found friends were happy to take on the odd school and brownies run, everyone just told me to not be shy, but ask for what help I needed.

LilyPickle Sun 06-May-12 22:16:40

Best thing ever.

Seriously, it will change your life. I am 38 and had mine done about 16 months ago and I would say to anyone who is suffering and doesn't want more children to have it done.

Recovery was somuch easier than I anticipated and although I didn't have a choice but to have it done, I have not regretted it.

Strawbezza Sun 06-May-12 22:20:18

Catuxa you are me 2 years ago. I had constant periods, massive clots, and was anaemic. I jumped at the chance of a vaginal hysterectomy and have never regretted it for a minute. Ovaries were left in, I haven't yet gone into menopause although the doctor did say there was a 50% chance of this happening early (I was 44 when I had the op).

I was in hospital for 3 days and was more or less back to normal after a week at home. No abdominal incision, only internal stitches which came out by themselves a few days later.

littlemissbossy Mon 07-May-12 12:50:31

Catuxa,

I'm 2 weeks post-op from a lap-assisted vaginal hysterectomy. I was diagnosed with fibroids and tried everything they threw at me over a 2/3 year period - the drugs, Mirena, etc and had three failed ablation attempts. Deciding on the hyster is a huge decision and has to be right for you. Our family was complete so this wasn't an issue for us. TBH my only concern was about how I/we would cope when I wasn't working and couldn't do things in the house. Recovery so far is slow, my surgery was more complicated than anticipated so the pain has been worse than I/they thought it would be and doing even the most minor things like getting a shower, is exhausting. Even though they tell you you are having major surgery I was still not really prepared for this. I'm not the kind of person to sit in my dressing gown all day. I honestly thought "give me a week and I'll be fine". You will need help and lots of it. I planned everything beforehand, easy meals in the fridge/freezer, a temporary cleaner/ironing lady, showed DH how to use the washer (!) and how to do on-line Sainsburys, arranging lifts for the boys to their various clubs, etc. Whilst it's hard so far I'm looking forward to getting my life back - the heavy bleeding/horrendous flooding, the pain, the never ending tiredness from anemia etc - all will be history!

I had my hysterectomy at 36..horrendous periods and prolapse.. Mine was done abdominally. First 10 days were painful but after that it was all uphill, and I have to say it was the best decision I could have taken. No more pain, no more prolapse and no more periods! Oh and no more smears as they took my cervixsmile

They left my ovaries, and I'm now 44 and still haven't hit the menopause as far as I can tell!!

zara206y Tue 08-May-12 14:14:36

Reading this i think its right for me too. Had years and years of odd periods and bleeding after sex (Ectropian of the cervix) been to hospital several times for repeated treatment. The last time in aug at private clinic for D&C etc, Since then periods started same day every month and only lasting 3 days unliek the 7 day flooding before. This month back to normal, period pains loads, had three period sessions now both lasting 3 -4 days, 7 days apart. I am sick to death of worrying about bleeding catching me out as it did do last time. Was with new partner and didnt know i was bleeding..wont say anymore..but was in floods of tears. Having coil fitted today to see if helps but have been offered last resort of Hysterectomy to end probs. May opt for this soon as posts on her look positive. I have a 10 year old boy and only dating so at 43 cant see that any more children are in my future! Just wondering what this coil will do as the last copper coil a few years ago was horrendous..bled like a stuck pig! lol

catuxa Wed 09-May-12 17:53:19

Hi everyone, thank you so much for all your posts, they have been extremely helpful. These last few days I've had horrific bleeding and now I'm severely anaemic. i'm seeing Gynecologyst tomorrow to remove mirena coil and talk about my options. I've made up my mind though, I want a hysterectomy as I can't take this anymore. My consultant is one of the few that can do a LASH (laparoscopic) and I definitely think that the best option for me.
I hope my corporate private insurance will cover it. I'll keep you posted.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now