Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

"Borderline" underactive thyroid

(13 Posts)
thewizenedone Wed 25-Apr-12 07:22:35

Hello, in January I had a thyroid function test done, results came back - from memory- over 6 for TSH, repeat test in 3 months. Just had second test results are

TSH level 6.08
Serum free T4 level 13.6

suggest repeat test in 3 months.

Has anyone had this and then gone on to have a normal reading?
I have dry skin/hair, difficulty in losing weight, no energy and several close family members are already receiving treatment for thyroid deficiency.

TIA

sashh Wed 25-Apr-12 08:44:46

Mine came back abnormal and the difference thyroxine makes is fantastic. My GP slightly overdoses me because I feel better with more thyroxine.

I'd go back to the gp and ask to start on a low dose.

thewizenedone Wed 25-Apr-12 08:49:39

Thank you, sashh, unfortunately, my GP seems to think the path of non intervention is good! I just cant see how if 5.5 is upper limit then over 6 makes a "borderline" diagnosis.

mercibucket Wed 25-Apr-12 08:54:49

Ask to get antibodies tested as well
It sounds like you are already hypothyroid as you have symptoms, ask for a trial of levo (ahem I would insist, personally)
Is your t4 low/mid or high in the range? Prob low I would guess - point that out to the gp
Don't expect good treatment for this - educate yourself and demand good treatment or you will be undermedicated
Once you start on levo you are not aiming to get tsh in range, you are aiming to get symptom-free, which will probably mean a tsh of 1 or below and t4 at the top of the range
You also must get vitamin deficiencies tested as your body might not be able to absorb/synthesise them properly - get vit d, b12, ferritin, folates tested
Good luck
I recommend a good long google session, I like clinical knowledge summaries, gp notebook, thyroid uk and one I can't remember exactly, maybe 'thryoid manager'

mercibucket Wed 25-Apr-12 08:57:50

Yes your gp will think that, most of them appear to be crap at dealing with it, get the antibodies tested, point our family history and the fact you are already symptomatic, maybe also get cholesterol tested as that is prob high, and keep on insisting or change gp

mercibucket Wed 25-Apr-12 08:57:50

Yes your gp will think that, most of them appear to be crap at dealing with it, get the antibodies tested, point our family history and the fact you are already symptomatic, maybe also get cholesterol tested as that is prob high, and keep on insisting or change gp

thewizenedone Wed 25-Apr-12 09:00:40

HI Mercibucket,

looking at the printout the t4 is 13.6 range appears to be 12-22 so looks like you are correct with the low theory. As an aside I was a blood donor, cant give at the moment as classed as having investigations- would the vitamin stuff show in their tests do you know? you obviously know you stuff, thanks for the information.

thewizenedone Wed 25-Apr-12 09:01:52

Sorry forgot to add that I was under impression that thyroid autoantibodies had been tested but the results sheet shows -req????

RockinD Wed 25-Apr-12 20:08:34

Had I managed to get here before merci I would have said exactly what she has said.

OP is hypo and needs to be treated.

D

katiewins22 Thu 26-Apr-12 23:26:59

hello - i am

thewizenedone Fri 27-Apr-12 08:26:15

Thanks for the replies, one brother is only on 50mg of Levothyroxin and says the difference it has made is amazing! will ask for a trial run and see if it is forthcoming. Thanks again

Nevaeh60 Thu 05-Nov-15 21:08:04

I was told about 5 months ago I was borderline underactive thyroid.ive been suffering with my stomach. Was wondering if there's anyone who can tell me if there's a connection between the two. Look forward to hearing from you... Thankyoy

Nevaeh60 Thu 05-Nov-15 21:10:43

I was told 5 months ago I was borderline underactive thyroid. I've been suffering with my stomach. Was wondering if anyone knows wether there's a connection between the two. Look forward to hearing from you.... Thsnkyou

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now