Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Anyone had a breast reduction ?

(17 Posts)
recall Fri 16-Mar-12 01:27:56

How was it ?

Can you recommend a surgeon ?

mypinkmonkey Fri 16-Mar-12 08:56:19

Yes I had a reduction 8 weeks ago - still recovering but very happy with my smaller boobs. Probably first month is toughest - you need help with cleaning, hoovering, ironing, generally picking stuff up. I waited until my eldest son was at uni and my youngest was pretty independent until i booked op. My surgeon was recommended by my GP - I paid for my op though. There is another thread on this topic - i'll see if i can link to it for you.

recall Fri 16-Mar-12 11:11:26

Great thanks for that.

DorisVinyard Fri 16-Mar-12 11:35:03

captainmummy Fri 16-Mar-12 11:51:18

Would love to get this done - how much does it cost?

mypinkmonkey Fri 16-Mar-12 16:48:09

I paid £7K. You can get it done on NHS but I don't know the eligibility criteria for it. Apologies but I can't seem to link to the other thread - it's in General Health. Happy to answer any other questions you may have as it's so recent for me!

recall Fri 16-Mar-12 20:07:34

gp said no to nhs

recall Fri 16-Mar-12 20:07:56

now i need to find a good surgeon

mrsbjunior Fri 16-Mar-12 20:21:09

Hi had mine 10 days ago and am surprised how good i feel at the moment. i am still waiting to be hit by a setback but so far so good. I went to the GP who told me that the local PCT were no longer funding any non-emergency breast surgery so I had to go private and she recommended 4 surgeons who did work with the NHS as well as private. Saw two of them and liked the second one so went ahead and booked it. You need to make sure you like the surgeon. I have had the vertical incision with a female surgeon whereas other surgeons do what is called the anchor incision so do a lot of research and ask lots of questions as to what is best for you.

Happy to answer other qs as pink monkey said as it is recent.

Good luck

recall Sat 17-Mar-12 07:41:13

does it feel strange when they have gone? Does your back feel better ? what size where you ?

I think its more about the shape and heaviness than the size.

What motivated you to have it done, what were the problems ?

recall Sat 17-Mar-12 07:41:50

also, did you get back pain in your lower back ? or was it upper back, in between shoulders ?

captainmummy Sat 17-Mar-12 14:27:58

What size did you go from/to? I am not huge, but I've always hated my DD cups. I'd love to be smaller, down to a B maybe, I'd love to be able to wear strappy tops

mypinkmonkey Sat 17-Mar-12 21:45:49

recall - no doesn't feel strange at all. I had problems with my shoulders and i was very asymmetrical - one side was H and the other G - rest of me is a size 10 so I looked very out of proportion. I still have a shoulder problem but now feel very motivated to sort it properly as I no longer have the weight in the front causing the problem. Unfortunately the side effects of 20 odd years of carrying huge boobs doesn't disappear over night.
captainmummy - I went from a G/H to a D.
As mrsbjunior says it's best to research properly. I spent 4 years looking into it and only decided to do it when I found a surgeon who would do a vertical scar rather than an anchor and the timing was right for me. It's a big op - needs to be considered carefully.
Good luck!

Lastofthepodpeople Sun 18-Mar-12 07:40:16

I had mine fifteen years ago and definitely don't regret it. I went from a GG to a C and had the anchor type version. I was told that was the only option because I was so large - things may have changed since. I understand they don't do the anchor one so much any more.

Benefits:
No more back pain
I can actually buy normal sized shirts and dresses (instead of super,super plus sized)
Much, much more comfortable.
No more painful digging bras.
When I went for the op, I was twenty and so big that my nipples were already at my navel sad but the scar tissue means that even though I've put on a bit of weight and am now a DD (but am tall so not so big proportionately), I hardly have any 'droop' so they look much nicer than I would ever have expected for their size and after having a child!

Negatives:
My nipples have lost a lot of sensitivity.
I wasn't able to breastfeed. Some are after a reduction - depending on type of surgery and how much scar tissue you have. Unfortunately, I simply had no milk.

The recovery time wasn't long. I do recommend using the scar tape that you're given it makes a big difference to how long it takes for scars to reduce. My scars are now very pale and barely visible.

As for whether it felt strange when they were gone, it felt fantastic! I was just really happy about it and felt like I was back to normal instead of having these great heavy things attached to my chest.

I can't comment on cost or surgeons since mine was so long ago (and in another country).

Good luck with it.

mrsbjunior Mon 19-Mar-12 16:30:26

Hi

went from H to what I hope will be a D/DD but as they are still swollen time will tell.

for me the biggest difference is not physical but more appearance as they are now not down over my (slightly too big stomach).

Reasons for doing it were more about how I saw myself and how whenever I looked in the mirror I saw boobs and shopping was hell as I was so limited. I'm not sure it will be "life-changing" as there is a lot else I have to work on weight wise but hopefully it will spur me into being more active and finding the figure to go with the new boobs!
recall - where do you live? There is a good website called Breast Health Online which has a reduction forum which is very good.

JaneSKMAN Tue 01-Jan-13 18:10:32

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

tracywilliams0017 Wed 08-Jun-16 09:06:18

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now