Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

molluscum Contagiosum

(36 Posts)
annalovesmrbates Sat 18-Feb-12 16:57:05

DS has molluscum contagiosum. The GP has said nothing can be done and that it will clear up over time. Can anyone recommend anything to treat it? A friend recommended a homeopathic remedy, thuja?

MandyT68 Sat 18-Feb-12 17:06:35

We were told by the GP to do nothing. The HV said to traumatise the spots (squeeze them) to make them erupt and then they would go quickly. My daughter, then aged 2, refused that sort of treatment. They took about 6 months to go and there are a few dents in her torso where there were some spots. We did not hear of any remedies at all and searched fairly hard but this was 8 years ago. It does go away, doesn't itch or hurt and, once gone, never returns. Still not much fun.

annalovesmrbates Sat 18-Feb-12 17:18:05

Thanks! Squeezing doesn't sound much fun!

annalovesmrbates Sat 18-Feb-12 17:18:05

Thanks! Squeezing doesn't sound much fun!

Bluetinkerbell Sat 18-Feb-12 17:34:51

Same here! DD who is 3 has been having it for almost a year now. She has one really big one that looks all red and the area around it too! She scratches them as well. I too had enough of the GP saying they will just disappear! Apparently it can take up to 4 years for them to go! shock

SKYTVADDICT Sat 18-Feb-12 17:40:02

I don't think you are supposed to squeeze them as the liquid inside them is infectious and makes more spots. They do go after time as I know a little boys who have just gone after 18 months or so. He has a few scars. The GP told them that when a particular spot was red and scabby it was going and this did seem to happen with the larger spots.

ShotgunNotDoingThePans Sat 18-Feb-12 17:40:14

I think if you do a search you'll find a fair few remedies. When my DCs had it a few years ago I wasn't on MN there didn't seem to be anything out there, but I'm sure I've seen claims of success using various methods.

bigTillyMint Sat 18-Feb-12 17:42:01

DD had a few, and after a couple of months we were fed up with them, so I scratched/squeezed them off. They never returned, and that was about 10 years ago smile

hattymattie Sat 18-Feb-12 17:47:52

If these are the same things my daughter had - little bumps on the skin in the same colour as the flesh. I took her to the skin guy in France and he cut them all off with a sort of razor blade. He told me I could do the same with the top of a bic pen -which I did after dabbing with antiseptic. I think they need to be sliced off rather than squeezed. There's the French approach for you!

bradbourne Sat 18-Feb-12 17:50:30

I bathed my child daily in a bath of Epsom salts - the spots looked worse directly after the bath, but much better each following morning. Within 2 weeks they had disappeared completely. Co-incidence? Possibly, but I would try it again if I evr had a case of Molloscum to deal with. It was certainly very impressive to watch them fade away day by day.

seeker Sat 18-Feb-12 17:53:20

There are no effective remedies, honestly. They are horrible, but they go away by themselves in anything from 6 to 18 months. The reason people think that some cures work is that they often get suddenly much worse not long before they disappear- they get red and inflamed and sometimes bleed and go pus-sy. Because they look and feel so much worse, people start treating them and they go. But they would have gone anyway- it's part of the natural course of the condition. You just have to be patient with them. sad

TherapeuticVino Sat 18-Feb-12 18:10:47

My daughter had this for best part of a year. We used thuja and they were gone within a couple of days - definitely worth a go!

annalovesmrbates Sat 18-Feb-12 18:16:15

Thanks everyone. Hatty, the French solution sounds, um, interesting!

grumpypants Sat 18-Feb-12 18:18:39

we used 8 hour cream at the first sign of one on ds and it went - just applied it every night. went and didn't spread.

Shoppingveggie Sat 18-Feb-12 21:18:03

My son had one of these on his face a few years ago, the doctor said there was nothing we could do and would eventually go away on its own accord.

After speaking to a friend, she said a Chemist friend of her's recommeded pure lavender oil be put on the spot day and night with a cotton bud. My friend did this and her son's went very quickly after doing it.

So, I went a bought some lavender and did what she told me - within a fortnight it had gone.

TheHumancatapult Sat 18-Feb-12 21:24:17

ds1 has these and they never ever gone in about 14yearsconfused

jennifersofia Sat 18-Feb-12 21:32:02

My daughter has just be diagnosed with these. Dr said that if they are squeezed / scraped, etc. there is a higher likelihood of scarring. She recommended (unofficially) tea tree oil applied daily. We have just started, so don't know how effective it will be.

jennifersofia Sat 18-Feb-12 21:32:16

'been'

Morgs72 Sat 18-Feb-12 22:01:00

My daughter had this. Several doctors all said there was nothing we could do, but after two years, it was really bothering her.
I googled it and several links advised the use of tea tree oil. Boots do a tea tree cream. I used this and they seemed to start drying up/scabbing over...disappearing.
We had been referred to a dermatologist, anyway, who confirmed it was MC, and asked if I had tried to squeeze them. I said that I had but that the skin over the spots seemed a little thicker. She told me that by aggravating them, the body's own immunity kicks in to clear them. She said that using the tea tree cream was doing exactly that and also prescribed a cream called crystacide.
All gone in no time.
We were told it can be caught again, though, but at least we'll know what to do if that happens...

owlelf Sat 18-Feb-12 22:11:31

DS had these, started with just a few and they got gradually worse until he had about 40 on his trunk sad. I tried tea tree oil for about 8 weeks but it didn't seem to help.

Luckily they didn't bother him, he was 3 so he wasn't very self conscious and we made sure that no one made a big deal out of them.

About 10 months after the first one appeared they began to look more red and angry than usual. After this they cleared up remarkably quickly.

Our GP was adamant that nothing could be done to help. She said that they don't clear up until the body recognises the infection and then it finally fights it and it clears up. She said some people think that squeezing or picking them can help the body recognise the infection- but she advised against trying this.

mrsbossyboots Sat 18-Feb-12 22:23:53

DC1 had these for about 18mths hers they suddenly cleared up of their own accord but then within 2 weeks DC2 developed them (3yo)! We tried lavender, tea tree oil etc on DC1 but this only seemed to aggregate eczema in the area. Good old sudocrem helped when they burst and we had to use a topical antibiotic on two spots that became inflamed and infected. They don't hurt so best trying not we try not to make a big deal about them so DCs don't become self concious.

seeker Sat 18-Feb-12 23:26:09

"All gone in no time"

Yes, after 2 years.

grumpypants Sun 19-Feb-12 09:47:18

As they are just unsightly and harmless I don't think gps are very interested. Hence parents trying to find a cure. A friend squeezed the ones her kids had - they went.

andrea169 Fri 24-Feb-12 08:59:59

There are many remedies on the internet, we had successful treatment with Poxiderm which is a plant extract from the US, it is sold by a company run by two dermatologists in the UK, since using it I have recommended to two classmates one of which has already cleared within a few weeks.

yummumto3girls Fri 24-Feb-12 13:57:43

My DD had these a few years ago. My research showed they needed something that was anti-fungal a d anti-bacterial. I bought colloidal silver which is both of these from health food shop? There is an American product advertised on Internet as well. I used in conjunction with tea tree in bath and Aloe Vera gel, and they did clear up, although cant say for sure which one did the job!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now